Ongoing lag

Discuss the Ballistic Weapons servers here.
Azarael
UT2004 Administrator

Re: Ongoing lag

Post by Azarael » Fri 31 May , 2013 12:31 am

If I recall, max client rate is bytes per second. 10KiB/s doesn't mean shit.

iZumo
Disappeared Administrator

Post by iZumo » Sat 01 Jun , 2013 9:58 am

Nardaq_NL wrote:
Izumo_CZ wrote:The provider is primarily important. It doesn't matter if the server is in France / Netherlands or Germany. If we find some that is good (I see CEONSS was moved to some NL provider, for instance.) then we can actually talk. Otherwise one ends like "omg I moved to a new server, but it still lags" etc.
Of course is Holland better. For one, its supreme connection to the AMS-IX means a ton of less hops/routes( = less chance of lag) for the other players, compared trough the OVH "[url=http://weathermap.ovh.net/europemaze[/url]" of routes where there seems always be an issue (thats my idea about it)

I'm not sure whats LDG is using, a own dedicated server or leasing a server. might consider test for a month
It's not really about country or whether you're routed through Amsterdam of Frankfurt, you need to have a good provider mainly. Saying Holland > Germany (or vice versa) in terms of routing doesn't say much. My connection to the server is fine now.

Michie
Banned

Post by Michie » Sun 02 Jun , 2013 2:33 am

Izumo_CZ wrote:
Nardaq_NL wrote:
Izumo_CZ wrote:The provider is primarily important. It doesn't matter if the server is in France / Netherlands or Germany. If we find some that is good (I see CEONSS was moved to some NL provider, for instance.) then we can actually talk. Otherwise one ends like "omg I moved to a new server, but it still lags" etc.
Of course is Holland better. For one, its supreme connection to the AMS-IX means a ton of less hops/routes( = less chance of lag) for the other players, compared trough the OVH "[url=http://weathermap.ovh.net/europemaze[/url]" of routes where there seems always be an issue (thats my idea about it)

I'm not sure whats LDG is using, a own dedicated server or leasing a server. might consider test for a month
It's not really about country or whether you're routed through Amsterdam of Frankfurt, you need to have a good provider mainly. Saying Holland > Germany (or vice versa) in terms of routing doesn't say much. My connection to the server is fine now.
Really ? Why do i play with a 120 ping from the States ? However i can change my name and IP and get a way better ping.Whats up with that ? .=

iZumo
Disappeared Administrator

Post by iZumo » Sun 02 Jun , 2013 8:40 am

We're obviously talking about countries within Europe.

Butcher
V.I.P. Member

Post by Butcher » Wed 12 Jun , 2013 11:10 am

Yesterday , had same delaying prob as ;"( before. I had to Quit 3 times the UT, restarted the PC, shot off all other things that use internet (as skype) :S, and disconnected my mobile and other PC from the wireless. Connected the PC with a LAN cable to the router, and voila the ping improved from 200 to 32... Had some couple of delays after, but at least it stopped being unplayable and me sucking that much! There are days that I have this and days I don't ( and I'm in Germany). I don't believe the ping as shown in the F6 net status, If I go to the server browser and click refresh appears the ping of the server around 200-300 (yesterday) and inside the game 32. Also in the end of the game, it shows the ping and it shows 999 ping when I have been having delays.
Is frustrating because I am a fairly good player, but I can't perform under the lag, it ruins my score and my team performance. When I have this lags I go to the last position of my team, and no! I didn't forget how to play from one map to the other!

There must be some config for the PC to give UT priority respect to other processes you run in internet...
"An BW match is a test of your skill against your opponents' luck." :)

iRobot
Junk Administrator

Post by iRobot » Wed 12 Jun , 2013 11:14 am

You can prioritise certain applications and bandwidth distribution in your routers configuration page.

Butcher
V.I.P. Member

Post by Butcher » Wed 12 Jun , 2013 11:23 am

iRobot wrote:You can prioritise certain applications and bandwidth distribution in your routers configuration page.
You are right, unfortunately my router is a bit old (other provider) and not very good, I'll search for a new router...
"An BW match is a test of your skill against your opponents' luck." :)

Skaldy
V.I.P. Member

Post by Skaldy » Wed 12 Jun , 2013 11:44 am

Plenty of routers are terrible at wireless, and still have performance problems even when wireless connections are not in use!

I always disable it completely on the router admin page, and use LAN-over-power devices (TP-Link Powerline) to get internet access around the home instead. I also disable all unnecessary hardware on my PC, via the BIOS and Device Manager, which helps latency to some extent.

Reducing your ping is a good idea, but it won't help with the current lag which is actual packet loss. Lag is affecting almost everyone and seems to be due to OVH (the host for LDG). From the UK, my connection definitely improves after 7:30 pm GMT.

http://weathermap.ovh.net/