Consider matching the total bullets to magazine size?

For discussion of gameplay and weapon balance. This is a discussion forum and post quality is moderated.
pilau

Consider matching the total bullets to magazine size?

Post by pilau » Sun 04 Aug , 2013 8:32 pm

Some guns have "irregular" (or non-round) magazine sizes, such as the Mars family with 32 rounds per magazine and so on. However the extra stock you spawn with don't amount to full magazines - 90 rounds is like each extra magazine is missing two bullets.

Please consider matching bullets to magazines for added realism.

pilau

Re: Consider matching the total bullets to magazine size?

Post by pilau » Mon 12 Aug , 2013 7:58 am

Any response/feedback/opinion/comeback/acknowledgement?

Butcher
V.I.P. Member

Post by Butcher » Mon 12 Aug , 2013 9:50 am

Well, I can tell you that to have total bullets matching would be a problem. Consider you have 30 bullets in a mag, and 73 in the stock, then you shoot 5 and reload, you still have your 68 in the stock. If you use a full size mag you would not be able to reload when you have time but when you finish your mag. Or when you need to refill 5 bullets you used , either you loose a complete mag (not good) or you have infinite ammo cause refills when you reload a half empty mag.

I believe the non matching bullets in your stock to the mag size (as implemented) is the best solution :).
(=
"An BW match is a test of your skill against your opponents' luck." :)

pilau

Post by pilau » Mon 12 Aug , 2013 10:18 am

Finally someone :)

I see what you mean, but in that sense you lose some aspect of realism which is somewhat the "premise" of BWPro as far as I could gather hanging around here.

What you're referring to is professionally called "tactical reload", and for an in-game implementation, you might consider actually "changing magazines", i.e. let's say, for instance, you start with 5 magazines of 30 rounds each.

You engage the first battle and fire 20 bullets out of that magazine. When you reload, the game will retain that half-emptied- 10-round-magazine for you, and switch to the largest magazine at your disposal. So on until you finish your bullets.

When you take an ammo pickup or reload at a weapon locker, regardless of whether you still have ammunition or not, let's compare that to when an actual soldier re-equips himself during a regroup - simply refill all magazines he has, perhaps get more if he can hold them. This goes in line with how ammo pickups and weapon lockers already work.

I see that as far more realistic, challenging, and interesting, than the "arcade" implementation BWpro currently has to offer.

One drawback I can see: In the heat of the battle you find yourself having 5 mags with 1-5 rounds each, which is definitely a possibility considering the implementation I suggested above. A solutiong might be to allow players to "collect" all of their remaining bullets into 1 magazine, of course at a certain time penalty like while reloading, only factored by the number of bullets in question as well.

Butcher
V.I.P. Member

Post by Butcher » Mon 12 Aug , 2013 10:31 am

Also take in count, that kills and berserk refill ammo. To which mag shall they go? Besides, if it selects the half empty mag in the middle of combat I'd be pissed. Reloading takes time, then its favorable to have a weapon without much reloading time (shotguns) or one with huge mags (Machine guns). Makes balance towards other weapons.
Without the feature is not so easy to reload in the middle of combat. I normally switch weapons before reloading, unless a shotgun is in use.
(=
"An BW match is a test of your skill against your opponents' luck." :)

pilau

Post by pilau » Mon 12 Aug , 2013 11:20 am

Butcher wrote:Also take in count, that kills and berserk refill ammo. To which mag shall they go?
Two questions:
1. What is the math behind this? If I know how it works I can propose a solution.
2. Does that happen in the offline version too, or only on the LDG servers?
Butcher wrote:if it selects the half empty mag in the middle of combat I'd be pissed.
Why should that happen? When you reload, the game will automatically choose the magazine with most bullets in it. If you are running low on rounds and you didn't pick up ammo somewhere then it's your problem (similar to what it's like already).
Butcher wrote:Reloading takes time, then its favorable to have a weapon without much reloading time (shotguns) or one with huge mags (Machine guns). Makes balance towards other weapons.
Without the feature is not so easy to reload in the middle of combat. I normally switch weapons before reloading, unless a shotgun is in use.
(=
I'm not sure I understand you here, but since the whole idea here is to benefit from more realistic gameplay, only magazine-based weapons (rifles, pistols, machine-guns, etc) should behave like I'm proposing. Shotguns, cannons, and some energy weapons for example that don't use magazines, don't benefit anything realistically from this functionality and it definitely shouldn't be applied to them.

Oska
The wise man

Post by Oska » Mon 12 Aug , 2013 11:45 am

Who cares of the magazine size - total bullets matching really? If you want real things then don't play BW and go in the army.
You really think you get frozen when you die in real life? You really think you can have angel wings when using a staff?

I don't think so. That kind of detail is useless and must be a pain in the ass to implement.
pilau wrote:Any response/feedback/opinion/comeback/acknowledgement?
Here is my opinion.
anyway, did someone put their salami into your mama's underwear or something? - team-spec*Azarael

Azarael
UT2004 Administrator

Post by Azarael » Mon 12 Aug , 2013 11:48 am

I must point out that the OP was about the total reserve ammo of the LK05 not matching up with the actual capacity of 3 LK-05 magazines. This was silently corrected. I don't always respond to posts reporting minor issues, they're usually fixed silently.

Tactical reloading is not something I'm planning to implement into Pro. That's more the kind of thing that would go into Fix. The philosophy of Pro is gameplay and balance over realism and conservation of existing BW features, whereas the philosophy of Fix is community requests which don't unbalance the game. That's not to say that I'm anti-realism - I'll support it where it is desirable to do so (i.e. where it doesn't conflict with gameplay or balance). I just won't put it above either.

pilau

Post by pilau » Mon 12 Aug , 2013 12:19 pm

Azarael wrote:I must point out that the OP was about the total reserve ammo of the LK05 not matching up with the actual capacity of 3 LK-05 magazines. This was silently corrected. I don't always respond to posts reporting minor issues, they're usually fixed silently.
That's cool. It would still be nice to know what you, the maintainers and developers (as well as the rest of the community) think about suggestions/feedback - since it can give us players a direction towards what is practical and relevant and what isn't. Please take that into account Azarael.
Azarael wrote:Tactical reloading is not something I'm planning to implement into Pro. That's more the kind of thing that would go into Fix. The philosophy of Pro is gameplay and balance over realism and conservation of existing BW features, whereas the philosophy of Fix is community requests which don't unbalance the game. That's not to say that I'm anti-realism - I'll support it where it is desirable to do so (i.e. where it doesn't conflict with gameplay or balance). I just won't put it above either.
I see. Yet I am inclined to ask: how about the offline version of Pro?

Azarael, please take the time to refer to a question regadring Fix here. Thanks.
Oska wrote:Who cares of the magazine size - total bullets matching really? If you want real things then don't play BW and go in the army.
You really think you get frozen when you die in real life? You really think you can have angel wings when using a staff?

I don't think so. That kind of detail is useless and must be a pain in the ass to implement.
pilau wrote:Any response/feedback/opinion/comeback/acknowledgement?
Here is my opinion.
Why are you so angry? For your information, I served for 3 years, and my actual experience IRL is where my suggestion comes from.

And as a software developer, my personal estimation is that it wouldn't be a PITA at all. Are you a developer? I'm not here to fight you buddy, no need for your aggressiveness.
Last edited by pilau on Mon 12 Aug , 2013 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

iRobot
Junk Administrator

Post by iRobot » Mon 12 Aug , 2013 12:25 pm

pilau wrote:Why are you so angry? For your information, I served for 3 years, and my actual experience IRL is where my suggestion comes from.

And as a software developer, my personal estimation is that it wouldn't be a PITA at all. Are you a developer? I'm not here to fight you buddy, no need for your aggressiveness.
Having 3 full reserve magazines instead of 2 and a bit makes sense to me. Don't know what's up with Oska :)