Ongoing lag

Discuss the Ballistic Weapons servers here.
Skaldy
V.I.P. Member

Ongoing lag

Post by Skaldy » Fri 19 Apr , 2013 11:58 am

Lag spikes, ranging in severity, seem to be continual now - there were none a few months ago.

Are there any players who never get any packet loss?

Where's the problem likely to be? Based in the UK, I can connect to .DE servers and it's as smooth as silk, but connecting to ldg-gaming.eu means going via .FR :roll:

Basically - can we expect any improvement...ever?

:(

iRobot
Junk Administrator

Re: Ongoing lag

Post by iRobot » Fri 19 Apr , 2013 12:35 pm

This has existed for a long time for me too. Ping spikes of 300+, packet loss spikes of 60-100, sometimes 150+. Sometimes it's so severe other people accuse me of teleporting around/spectators mention it.

Only happens on LDG servers and nowhere else.

focus

Post by focus » Fri 19 Apr , 2013 2:03 pm

I suffer from lag spikes for months. They can appear several times in hour, and each time i get total packetloss in outgoing direction, with ping 999. The length of spike is usually long enough to kill me due to anti-camping mechanisms.
I thought it was because of my ISP or my computer, and now i see that i am not alone with such troubles.

Skaldy
V.I.P. Member

Post by Skaldy » Fri 19 Apr , 2013 4:31 pm

My ping does sometimes go from stable 40 up to 58, but it's the regular packet loss that is the worst problem. It's bad enough getting the odd 2 msec spike for yourself (which could be individual connection issues) but there are these ripples of 100+ msecs that throw all of us players around. We can see everyone's packet loss as it occurs on the F1 scoreboard (shown as P/L).

Are all the UT servers on the same physical machine?
Are any scheduled OS update or malware tasks getting in the way?
Has the BW mod changed such that the CPU demand has become too much?
Would tweaking the server's network settings for max client netspeed/tickrate etc. help?

This must be a solvable problem, surely :?:
Last edited by Skaldy on Fri 19 Apr , 2013 4:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.

iRobot
Junk Administrator

Post by iRobot » Fri 19 Apr , 2013 4:38 pm

I keep track of my PL with F6. Easier to glance at that when you feel it's not playing smoothly.

iZumo
Disappeared Administrator

Post by iZumo » Fri 19 Apr , 2013 10:11 pm

The problem is not with server, but with routing (also OVH is upgrading their network, so it should be better lately).

Michie
Banned

Post by Michie » Sun 21 Apr , 2013 1:49 am

As of today it SUCKED.I play with a high ping and deal with it.But the Spikes or Lags as you all call it is pretty bad.You guy ever try to shut down other things to see if it gets better ? I can fly on other servers for whats it worth

Butcher
V.I.P. Member

Post by Butcher » Fri 03 May , 2013 6:53 pm

I have this problem too often. Sometimes it states the 999 ping and other players tell me they see 32-40 when I complain... (Tears!!)
I notice that I am delayed respect to the other players. Is like if some players were getting the image 1 millisecond before. The delay differs from map to map. I'm not sure if i am constantly lagged or if I'm delayed with respect to some of them. (More Tears!!!)
The huge unplayable lags I get them consistently in maps such as Helmsdeep and BussinessHall. The game runs fluently while I'm not in combat, and when the confrontation begins, then I have to shoot where I think the opponent will go! that if I am not frozen yet... its frustrating... (Crying like a lady!)
My score reflects the times I am lagged, once I am in the upper positions in points in my team and suddenly I am the last in the next map.
I hope there is something to do. (PMS!)

(What a wuz I became :P)
Hehehe
Greets...
"An BW match is a test of your skill against your opponents' luck." :)

Skaldy
V.I.P. Member

Post by Skaldy » Wed 29 May , 2013 1:11 pm

Another month, and there's still almost constant 1-2 packet loss with regular 100-200 spikes. Since March it's been like playing with a rusty mouse!

It tends to come & go in waves over a few hours - like there's some traffic management being done somewhere. And it also seems worse for players in some countries rather than others (UK quite bad, Germany quite good?). Have OVH finished their "upgrade" process now, and do they know about this?

I know those of us who don't subscribe are lucky to have LDG, but other servers are just so smooth.

</tears>

joinha

iRobot
Junk Administrator

Post by iRobot » Wed 29 May , 2013 1:21 pm