Ongoing lag

Discuss the Ballistic Weapons servers here.
iZumo
Disappeared Administrator

Re: Ongoing lag

Post by iZumo » Wed 29 May , 2013 6:15 pm

Well, the only thing we can do about it is to change provider (which is quite complicated and first you need to be sure the new provider is a good one).

Skaldy
V.I.P. Member

Post by Skaldy » Thu 30 May , 2013 12:28 pm

I understand that changing host would take too much time and be risky.

Would it be worth slightly reducing all the servers' settings for maximum client rate, tick rate, number of players/spectators, or whatever - just for one week to see if it makes any difference to the packet loss?

.=

iRobot
Junk Administrator

Post by iRobot » Thu 30 May , 2013 1:32 pm

We could also try shutting the invasion and minecraft servers for a week too.

Pinky

Post by Pinky » Thu 30 May , 2013 2:18 pm

iRobot wrote:We could also try shutting the [...] minecraft servers for a week too.
Shutting down the mc server has already been tested. It's not responsible for the lag...

Takeo

Post by Takeo » Thu 30 May , 2013 3:51 pm

Did we ever test for the VM server (on which DayZ is running)? It seems to use a lot of ressources. Though it shouldn't have a big impact on the network quality, testing it shouldn't hurt.

iZumo

Post by iZumo » Thu 30 May , 2013 5:39 pm

It wasn't running all the time, and yet, there was lag. And while it uses resources, there is still enough free resources. The lag spikes are coming from the network provider(s). If it was the server, literally everyone would have lag spike.

Oska
The wise man

Post by Oska » Thu 30 May , 2013 5:57 pm

Why isn't it host in Holland like lots of servers? Any particular reason?
anyway, did someone put their salami into your mama's underwear or something? - team-spec*Azarael

iZumo

Post by iZumo » Thu 30 May , 2013 6:56 pm

The provider is primarily important. It doesn't matter if the server is in France / Netherlands or Germany. If we find some that is good (I see CEONSS was moved to some NL provider, for instance.) then we can actually talk. Otherwise one ends like "omg I moved to a new server, but it still lags" etc.

Skaldy
V.I.P. Member

Post by Skaldy » Thu 30 May , 2013 11:26 pm

I agree - moving is not worth it unless you are sure it is better.

What's the MaxInternetClientRate on your UT servers - the default is 10000 isn't it?

Servers that use 5500 seem OK.

Nardaq_NL

Post by Nardaq_NL » Thu 30 May , 2013 11:57 pm

Izumo_CZ wrote:The provider is primarily important. It doesn't matter if the server is in France / Netherlands or Germany. If we find some that is good (I see CEONSS was moved to some NL provider, for instance.) then we can actually talk. Otherwise one ends like "omg I moved to a new server, but it still lags" etc.
Of course is Holland better. For one, its supreme connection to the AMS-IX means a ton of less hops/routes( = less chance of lag) for the other players, compared trough the OVH "[url=http://weathermap.ovh.net/europemaze[/url]" of routes where there seems always be an issue (thats my idea about it)

I'm not sure whats LDG is using, a own dedicated server or leasing a server. might consider test for a month