Map Rotation Opinions

For discussion of gameplay and weapon balance. This is a discussion forum and post quality is moderated.

What map rotation do you like?

Popular maps available every evening - because the maps are good
22%
Popular maps available every evening - because I know them well
No votes
More maps in the pool by blocking popular maps the following evening
61%
I don't mind either option
17%

Total votes: 23

Coi
V.I.P. Member

Re: Map Rotation Opinions

Post by Coi » Fri 03 Jan , 2014 1:38 pm

• I'd leave the filename in the first column and have the playercount displayed, like so:
    Filename Summary Playercount
  • I wouldn't recommend vote pinning ( = inability to change vote), this will cause people to make their choice after 'the others' have voted. You see where this is going to.
  • Instead of choosing just 1 map or any map based on distribution, maybe try randomly picking one out of the top 50% of the voted maps (while still weighted).
    This way you can ensure a map with only 1 vote won't get chosen, but a map reaching just below the top could get chosen too.
Last edited by Coi on Fri 03 Jan , 2014 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If this sentence is false, I don't have a signature.

iRobot
Junk Administrator

Post by iRobot » Fri 03 Jan , 2014 1:59 pm

Coi wrote:
  • I'd leave the filename in the first column and have the playercount displayed, like so:
    Filename Summary Playercount
  • I wouldn't recommend vote pinning ( = inability to change vote), this will cause people to make their choice after 'the others' have voted. You see where this is going to.
  • Instead of choosing just 1 map or any map based on distribution, maybe try randomly picking one out of the top 50% of the voted maps (while still weighted).
    This way you can ensure a 'bad' map with only 1 vote won't get chosen, but a map reaching just below the top could get chosen too.
There are no bad maps. If the map was 'bad' it would not be on the server.

Coi
V.I.P. Member

Post by Coi » Fri 03 Jan , 2014 2:52 pm

iRobot wrote: There are no bad maps. If the map was 'bad' it would not be on the server.
Badly worded, I just meant any map with only 1 vote which might make too many players leave.

iRobot
Junk Administrator

Post by iRobot » Fri 03 Jan , 2014 2:57 pm

Locking your first map choice should be introduced, people change their votes all the time just to influence the outcome and it shouldn't be like that.

The very fact you think people would 'wait' to vote shows that they cannot decide for themselves and just vote whatever is put forward. This is what we're trying to stop.

Coi
V.I.P. Member

Post by Coi » Fri 03 Jan , 2014 2:59 pm

iRobot wrote:Locking your first map choice should be introduced, people change their votes all the time just to influence the outcome and it shouldn't be like that.

The very fact you think people would 'wait' to vote shows that they cannot decide for themselves and just vote whatever is put forward. This is what we're trying to stop.
Many people don't know what exactly they want to vote. Maybe add a "Random" button?

bOnO
UT2004 Administrator

Post by bOnO » Fri 03 Jan , 2014 3:41 pm

The random button is possible (It exists on Downer trials server).
Its all about the game, and how you play it
All about control, and if you can take it
All about your debt, and if you can payit
Its all about pain and whos gonna make it...

Azarael
UT2004 Administrator

Post by Azarael » Fri 03 Jan , 2014 3:45 pm

If there are no bad maps, the players will not leave. I mentioned this yesterday. Show maps in subsections according to playercount and weight accordingly. The result will be that noone has any reason to whine.

In most cases, the map file name is not far off the actual title. The file name could be dropped without much if any problem.

Michie
Banned

Post by Michie » Fri 03 Jan , 2014 4:31 pm

There is a few real shitty maps I have played. Way I see I if you don't like the map don't play it. Some have no real meeting place to fight which sucks. Having a common meeting place does help. It would be nice if there was a way to vote on map weather you like them or not so you could weed out the bad ones. Not the Good ones like Toy Story. No idea why or who took map out but most everyone liked it. Makes sence to take away good maps and keep bad maps right D=

iRobot
Junk Administrator

Post by iRobot » Fri 03 Jan , 2014 4:39 pm

The problem with "If you don't like the map, don't play it" is maps like Osiris2, Highlander, ToysStory, can take up several hours an evening. Should we delete the game just because a few crap maps are cemented onto the server?

Azarael
UT2004 Administrator

Post by Azarael » Fri 03 Jan , 2014 4:42 pm

"Common meeting place?" Michie, seriously. That's called a chokepoint and it's an EXTREMELY undesirable feature of a map.

This really highlights that a lot of people who think a map is good think it's good for reasons related to their lack of knowledge about gameplay.