Questionnaire about the old map

Discuss the Minecraft server here.
Flo
RAGEMASTER

Re: Questionnaire about the old map

Post by Flo » Tue 17 Dec , 2013 3:00 pm

Oh ...

Hmm, but I've collected alot of materials so far as to be able to start a bigger project in the new map whenever I feel like it. Due to my stay here in Japan chances to play for hours to farm materials are to rare, if I would want to built a certain thing. For that purpose I did some last intensive farming runs just before going to Japan ^_^

edit:
Since I kinda see the benefits (the excitement) of the idea:
If you really want to do it, I guess I need to build a small storage room to be transfered to the new map xD

Pinky
Disappeared Administrator

Post by Pinky » Tue 17 Dec , 2013 3:51 pm

I can still copy your entire house. Copy means that it will still be present on the old map (i.e. I won't cut it out there). The reason for non-shared inventories is to prevent players from doubling their stuff by a copy of their buildings and the chests they contain.

iZumo

Post by iZumo » Wed 18 Dec , 2013 4:23 am

btw. what's your ping from Japan?

Flo
RAGEMASTER

Post by Flo » Wed 18 Dec , 2013 5:23 pm

Ah, haven't looked at it while playing Minecraft, since it's good enough to play MC, even when fighting mobs etc.

But it is near to unplayable when it comes to UT2k4 with a ping between 250~300. I've tried to play 3 or 4 days ago, but with that ping, it's not really much fun to play UT ^_^

@Pinky
makes sense. is there a deadline until we should give our "copy this pls" coords to you? Right now (until 25th dec) I'm extremely busy with university stuff and a youtube video project running until the same day, so I might not be able to play MC until than at all.

Pinky

Post by Pinky » Wed 18 Dec , 2013 6:00 pm

Flo wrote:makes sense. is there a deadline until we should give our "copy this pls" coords to you? Right now (until 25th dec) I'm extremely busy with university stuff and a youtube video project running until the same day, so I might not be able to play MC until than at all.
There is not yet an official deadline. Even though a first beta build is out, I still have to check and configure all the plugins which will be used on the new server. I don' t expect this to be finished before the 25th. So you still have some time left... :D

Flo
RAGEMASTER

Post by Flo » Wed 18 Dec , 2013 6:47 pm

Okay, thank ya.

Coi
V.I.P. Member

Post by Coi » Mon 30 Dec , 2013 10:17 pm

I'm not for having your buildings twice.

Either copy the buildings or have the previous world in another dimension, but not both.
If this sentence is false, I don't have a signature.

Pinky

Post by Pinky » Tue 31 Dec , 2013 12:53 am

Coi wrote:I'm not for having your buildings twice.
Either copy the buildings or have the previous world in another dimension, but not both.
This means that the buildings on the old map would have to be removed, which is kinda tricky given the fact that a large part of the map was generated almost two years ago and the terrain generator received several changes since then. The copy of a building to the new map doesn't mean that a player will simply double his resources. The old and the new map will be completely separate dimensions. It won't be possible to transfer blocks or crafted materials between the two worlds. They both do also have distinct health and hunger bars, as well as XP levels. That means you can't use mob spawners on the old map to farm XPs and then enchant something on the new map with them.
And who are you, the proud lord said, that I must bow so low?
Only a cat of a different coat, that's all the truth I know.
In a coat of gold or a coat of red, a lion still has claws,
And mine are long and sharp, my lord, as long and sharp as yours.
And so he spoke, and so he spoke, that lord of Castamere,
But now the rains weep o'er his hall, with no one there to hear.
Yes now the rains weep o'er his hall, and not a soul to hear.

Coi
V.I.P. Member

Post by Coi » Tue 31 Dec , 2013 1:33 am

Pinky wrote:
Coi wrote:I'm not for having your buildings twice.
This means that the buildings on the old map would have to be removed, which is kinda tricky given the fact that a large part of the map was generated almost two years ago and the terrain generator received several changes since then. The copy of a building to the new map doesn't mean that a player will simply double his resources. The old and the new map will be completely separate dimensions. It won't be possible to transfer blocks or crafted materials between the two worlds. They both do also have distinct health and hunger bars, as well as XP levels. That means you can't use mob spawners on the old map to farm XPs and then enchant something on the new map with them.
You must have misunderstood me ;)

I didn't say the buildings should be moved. I think instead we should either
1) Keep the old world in another dimension, don't copy any buildings.
or
2) Copy the buildings across, but don't put the old world in another dimension.

The non-inventory-sharing is still a good idea anyway.
If this sentence is false, I don't have a signature.

Pinky

Post by Pinky » Tue 31 Dec , 2013 2:30 am

Coi wrote:I didn't say the buildings should be moved. I think instead we should either
1) Keep the old world in another dimension, don't copy any buildings.
or
2) Copy the buildings across, but don't put the old world in another dimension.
2) was my initial choice. However, some players objected and wanted to keep the old map for mostly nostalgic reasons. Option 1) is a no-go for other players. They want to continue on their buildings, but not on an outdated map which isn't supported anymore by the new terrain generator. That's why I cut the old map down to a manageable size to include them as an additional dimension. My hope is, that after some time the old map can be completely removed...