Conqueror MGL

For discussion of gameplay and weapon balance. This is a discussion forum and post quality is moderated.
iRobot
Junk Administrator

Conqueror MGL

Post by iRobot » Fri 26 Jul , 2013 10:52 am

Everything felt fine on this weapon except for the range. Grenades have too high arm time so they just bounce uselessly past the person you are attempting to hit. Needs to be at least half what it is currently.

Ammo is low, but it restocks with 6 grenades on each kill. Either increase the stock and remove the resupply, or just leave as is.

Just some feedback.

pilau

Re: Conqueror MGL

Post by pilau » Sun 04 Aug , 2013 8:36 pm

I strongly agree, this weapon can be vastly improved, and made for great fun as a primary weapon (in the vein of the grenade launcher in Soldat, in case you're familiar with it.)

I do think it has a too long range (it's a grenade launcher, not a rocket launcher), but it's greatest caveat is definitely it's stock. Way too small.

pilau

Post by pilau » Mon 12 Aug , 2013 7:57 am

Any response/feedback/opinion/comeback/acknowledgement?

Azarael
UT2004 Administrator

Post by Azarael » Mon 12 Aug , 2013 11:50 am

I balance weapons from online testing. While it's possible to make an educated guess at how balanced a weapon is from offline testing, the true potential of a weapon is only revealed when players fight players.

Jiffy
Azra is a Hippie

Post by Jiffy » Mon 12 Aug , 2013 12:08 pm

Weapon Special 2 should manual detonate them, or a Proximity detonation like the M46 Prox grenade.

Azarael
UT2004 Administrator

Post by Azarael » Mon 12 Aug , 2013 12:13 pm

The Conqueror already has a manual detonation facility.

pilau

Post by pilau » Mon 12 Aug , 2013 12:31 pm

I just think the primary mode should be percussion ("on strike") instead of delayed explosion. Would make the weapon more useful and fun.
Azarael wrote:I balance weapons from online testing. While it's possible to make an educated guess at how balanced a weapon is from offline testing, the true potential of a weapon is only revealed when players fight players.
I'm curios to know according to what do you infer possible improvements/balancing of weapons? Thanks.

Azarael
UT2004 Administrator

Post by Azarael » Mon 12 Aug , 2013 1:57 pm

At the moment, due to balance reasons, the Conqueror's primary mode (Impact) has an arming delay at close range, but will explode if hitting a player. This kind of thing is what I mean when I say there are some changes in Pro which don't make sense from a realistic point of view but are necessary to serve balance and gameplay.

Weapon balance comes from observing the weapons' prevalence online, using the weapon against others, having the weapon used against oneself and from the feedback of other players. The main problem with trying to balance against bots or weaker players than oneself is that one doesn't get a proper idea of the potential of the weapon. Bots and humans are worlds apart when playing Ballistic Weapons. As a human, I am obviously partial to bias, and there have been a number of cases where a weapon I used at some point and thought was fine turned out to be overpowered.

pilau

Post by pilau » Mon 12 Aug , 2013 2:45 pm

The arming delay actually is very realistic (except for the "unceremonious" explosion when hitting a player) - for example every 155m shell fuze has a physical arming safety mechanism: the shell rotates as it's fired, and a rotation across 70m at normal muzzle velocities (500-900m/s depending on shell and propellant charge size) releases the safety and activates the arming mechanism (percussion, delay, Doppler, etc.).[/quote]
Azarael wrote:Weapon balance comes from observing the weapons' prevalence online, using the weapon against others, having the weapon used against oneself and from the feedback of other players. The main problem with trying to balance against bots or weaker players than oneself is that one doesn't get a proper idea of the potential of the weapon. Bots and humans are worlds apart when playing Ballistic Weapons. As a human, I am obviously partial to bias, and there have been a number of cases where a weapon I used at some point and thought was fine turned out to be overpowered.
This actually makes a lot of sense :)