Guide to optimizing your hardware

Discuss matters related to LDG or UT2004 which aren't specific to any server.
iRobot
Junk Administrator

Re: Guide to optimizing your hardware

Post by iRobot » Thu 26 Sep , 2013 4:10 pm

Butcher wrote:
Skaldy wrote:
Butcher wrote:With my PC I have no delays offline, even in highest resolution of everything, nonetheless, there is the few ms delay (or what I call "Lag" when it peaks and goes back) in the online game
Try playing online for a few minutes on my old dead clan server "[FnG] Euro Server Germany" (it's on the TDM list). There are some easy bots to kill to pass the time. Watch your F6 ping.

If it felt a lot smoother and less jerky than here, then your PC is OK and you just have the same connection quality that most of us get here. So your "lag" is due to LDG's host (OVH) and nothing can be done.
Thanx, I'll try it tonight... do you have an IP address... I know how to open it now :D ^^
188.40.40.165:7666

Calypto

Post by Calypto » Thu 26 Sep , 2013 10:19 pm

Isn't Game Booster easier? I heard it's really good

Butcher
V.I.P. Member

Post by Butcher » Fri 27 Sep , 2013 11:31 am

Skaldy wrote:
Butcher wrote:With my PC I have no delays offline, even in highest resolution of everything, nonetheless, there is the few ms delay (or what I call "Lag" when it peaks and goes back) in the online game
Try playing online for a few minutes on my old dead clan server "[FnG] Euro Server Germany" (it's on the TDM list). There are some easy bots to kill to pass the time. Watch your F6 ping.

If it felt a lot smoother and less jerky than here, then your PC is OK and you just have the same connection quality that most of us get here. So your "lag" is due to LDG's host (OVH) and nothing can be done.
Went to your server and it was running smooth, the bots were so easy I got bored some minutes after.... seems the problem is the LDG server. For example in Highlander yesterday, I came into the room next to the center courtyard and there were 3 opponents in the room. I had my shotgun ready, so set the iron sights and killed the first one, dodged to make the second shot and the screen blocked (or jumped) then it unblocked, and immediately then Horrorklown shot me down and I was frozen. This "lag" or block is a matter of ms, but enough to disorient and put you in disadvantage.

The other one I get often is a delay, but that one in more constant in the sense that it goes longer through the map. In a sniper map I notice it quite easy cause I'm having a player on my sight, if the player is moving, instead of tracking him, I aim to where he is moving and wait for him to arrive to my aim point. In that moment I shoot, when I don't have the delay I hit the shot, but when I have it I see the shot hit behind. The time I click to the time the shot goes is delayed. When I try to reload, takes more time, when I try to set iron sights is delayed. And of course when I'm shooting in combat tracing an opponent I'm not able to hit any shot. The funny thing is that it does not last all the game, sometime in the middle it gets better, and then maybe the delay comes back. Is incredible the difference it makes in my game: normally in Lagheaven I have the delay, yesterday I did not have it, made 1 rampage, 2 killing sprees, same weapons, same tactics.
"An BW match is a test of your skill against your opponents' luck." :)

iRobot
Junk Administrator

Post by iRobot » Fri 27 Sep , 2013 11:34 am

Butcher wrote:yesterday I did not have it, made 1 rampage, 2 killing sprees, same weapons, same tactics.
Sorry, no video, no rampage

^^

Skaldy
V.I.P. Member

Post by Skaldy » Fri 27 Sep , 2013 12:33 pm

Yes, this new LDG server has given most of us lower pings but we still get packet loss coming and going in waves, particularly during peak hours. You can see everyone's P/L on the F1 screen.

I think it's the general network in & out of the host, OVH, and we just have to live with it because it is the same for everybody.

iZumo
Disappeared Administrator

Post by iZumo » Fri 27 Sep , 2013 1:00 pm

From economical point of view ... other providers offer worse HW at 2x higher prices (for which the donations were not sufficient anyway).

Skaldy
V.I.P. Member

Post by Skaldy » Fri 27 Sep , 2013 1:13 pm

Yes, we should be content with what we have. Given the time we spend here, donators and non-donators are getting good value for money :)

iRobot
Junk Administrator

Post by iRobot » Fri 27 Sep , 2013 1:15 pm

For non-donators to get 'value for money', they need to involve money in the process somewhere

.=

Skaldy
V.I.P. Member

Post by Skaldy » Fri 27 Sep , 2013 1:23 pm

Clearly a joke.

:D