Permabanned for Sexism this time - A Hamish goodbye message

If you feel a ban has been made in error, appeal it here.
Azarael
UT2004 Administrator

Re: Permabanned for Sexism this time - A Hamish goodbye mess

Post by Azarael » Wed 08 May , 2013 7:36 pm

It's either hatred, disregard or pragmatism. The latter does not apply when considering the conduct of players on a game server.

iZumo
Disappeared Administrator

Post by iZumo » Wed 08 May , 2013 7:45 pm

So when you're looking for a partner and are a heterosexual, you're not going pick boys, are you? Are you telling me you'd hate or disregard boys then? Will they think you hate them? (not meaing it sarcastically now :D )

Azarael
UT2004 Administrator

Post by Azarael » Wed 08 May , 2013 8:10 pm

That's clearly pragmatism. If you discriminate against women because you're hiring for a job which requires physical strength, this is acceptable and pragmatic. To refuse a sexual partner based on incompatibility in sexual attractions is pragmatic discrimination but not homophobia. Comparing someone to a member of a group with the strong implication that it's a horrifically bad thing to be a member of that group is the problem.

iZumo

Post by iZumo » Wed 08 May , 2013 8:30 pm

OK. But then "the strong implication that it's a horrifically bad thing" is only about reception. And that's the thing: how much bad is it? When it becomes harrassment? Here, we become concrete again.

We pretty much all agree that Racism & Nazism is always bad and we don't want such players here. Not sure how is it with sexism (as my post got without response on that part). Not as much agree on homophobia (and just to fill it for reference, we don't agree on the "goy" thing either). That's why we should take a look on how it works around us.

Azarael
UT2004 Administrator

Post by Azarael » Wed 08 May , 2013 8:39 pm

The usage of "goy" ceased completely after objections were raised.

CaptainXavious
V.I.P. Member

Post by CaptainXavious » Wed 08 May , 2013 8:51 pm

If i can chime in here, I think somethingnthat should be mentioned is recognition. As you say, its pretty much acceoted as fact that racism and Nazism is bad. But I ask how many honestly think sexism is perfectly alright? If I had to guess, I'd say most would be against sexism.

But there is a difference in sexism vs. Nazism/racism. Nazism and racism have keywords, that when used, are pretty much instantly associated with one or the other, even if the intent or end result left no one personally offended. Say "nigga" or "Hitler" in a sentance and you can easily categorize it.

Sexism on the other hand, really does not have any specific terminalogy associated with it. As such, you can pretty easily mistake a case of sexism as a harmless joke without having the context.

I am not trying to pick a side, I just want to add my thoughts on the discussion.

iZumo

Post by iZumo » Wed 08 May , 2013 8:54 pm

Azarael wrote:The usage of "goy" ceased completely after objections were raised.
I used that as a reference here. Although that never was demanded. Anyway, let's leave it for now.
CaptainXavious wrote:If i can chime in here, I think somethingnthat should be mentioned is recognition. As you say, its pretty much acceoted as fact that racism and Nazism is bad. But I ask how many honestly think sexism is perfectly alright? If I had to guess, I'd say most would be against sexism.

But there is a difference in sexism vs. Nazism/racism. Nazism and racism have keywords, that when used, are pretty much instantly associated with one or the other, even if the intent or end result left no one personally offended. Say "nigga" or "Hitler" in a sentance and you can easily categorize it.

Sexism on the other hand, really does not have any specific terminalogy associated with it. As such, you can pretty easily mistake a case of sexism as a harmless joke without having the context.

I am not trying to pick a side, I just want to add my thoughts on the discussion.
Well, I explained my view on the thing here: http://www.ldg-gaming.eu/viewtopic.php? ... 132#p16132 (changed a bit later).