New NitroVehicles

Discuss the Race / Assault server here.
iZumo
Disappeared Administrator

Re: New NitroVehicles

Post by iZumo » Fri 08 Apr , 2011 2:06 am

No, there are map dependencies. I'll be uploading another patch for the physics this weekend (addressing this and lack of handbrake spin in low speeds).

bOnO
UT2004 Administrator

Post by bOnO » Sat 16 Apr , 2011 3:00 pm

Izumo_CZ wrote:NitroVehicles7 is ready and I converting the NitroVehicles dependent maps to v7.

Changes:

- Scorpions (All):
-> Wheels are 20% larger and lot less softer. This is going to make them bouncy (especially on stairs with low speed) but will result in better handling when driving with high speed and mainly on ramps however will require more careful driving.

- Hellbenders (All):
-> harder wheels

- Effects
-> Enhanced sound effects
-> Skidding effects from UnWheel
I'd like to contest those points. I tried to deal with it, to accept it, but it's too annoying:

-The scorpions with larger and softer wheels... It's worst than before, seriously. Bouncy, they are, and too much; when you fall even from a short height, the car bounces like a ball in a flipper (and I don't even talk about when you drive slightly on a wall, you directly end out of the track). The other problem is that they are very hard to handle on some maps. For example, on Wickedsickrace, the part where you have to use nitro to cross a small gap and land on the road separated by a wall has become a nightmare given that the scorpions are larger; if you don't land exactly on the road you die because the car bumps on the wall and throw you out. Then, do I need to talk about the "balls"...
-Better handling when driving at full speed: it's the contrary and with the lack of reactivity from the handbrake, it's WORST.
-As for the hellbenders, if you use nitro while turning, you immediately do a flip.

And please, the "enhanced sound effects" (What is it?) and mainly the "skidding effects"... Do something about it and remove it. I don't want an option, I want it to disappear. It pisses off everybody.
Its all about the game, and how you play it
All about control, and if you can take it
All about your debt, and if you can payit
Its all about pain and whos gonna make it...

iZumo

Post by iZumo » Sat 16 Apr , 2011 3:18 pm

bOnO wrote: I'd like to contest those points. I tried to deal with it, to accept it, but it's too annoying:

-The scorpions with larger and softer wheels... It's worst than before, seriously. Bouncy, they are, and too much; when you fall even from a short height, the car bounces like a ball in a flipper (and I don't even talk about when you drive slightly on a wall, you directly end out of the track).
Wheels are harder and I yes it's not bugfree. It's something for something.
bOnO wrote:The other problem is that they are very hard to handle on some maps. For example, on Wickedsickrace, the part where you have to use nitro to cross a small gap and land on the road separated by a wall has become a nightmare given that the scorpions are larger; if you don't land exactly on the road you die because the car bumps on the wall and throw you out. Then, do I need to talk about the "balls"...
People are driving there no problem (both on the wall and balls).
bOnO wrote:-Better handling when driving at full speed: it's the contrary and with the lack of reactivity from the handbrake, it's WORST.
Didn't notice a problem with handbrake at full speed. Then don't expect to brake in 0.000001m when you are on full speed.
bOnO wrote:-As for the hellbenders, if you use nitro while turning, you immediately do a flip.
It's fine here (assuming you use nitro when you leave the curve, not when driving in it).
bOnO wrote:And please, the "enhanced sound effects" (What is it?) and mainly the "skidding effects"... Do something about it and remove it. I don't want an option, I want it to disappear. It pisses off everybody.
With the exception of you I haven't seen a whine about it (except when it was bugged). Besides that, the option will be surprisingly client sided, thus those who don't like it will be able to turn the effects off for themselves.

Raven

Post by Raven » Sat 16 Apr , 2011 3:48 pm

So that really bothers with the handling of almost all (especially the drift with that). You could say it is, as usual, be many years that you could drift around a curve (no matter how fast), or take short hand a 360° rotation. You can not do anymore. Whenever I write in chat, write, other players that the old vehicle (ie the handling as I believe in NV6 was) want to return.

iZumo

Post by iZumo » Sat 16 Apr , 2011 4:06 pm

Raven wrote:So that really bothers with the handling of almost all (especially the drift with that). You could say it is, as usual, be many years that you could drift around a curve (no matter how fast), or take short hand a 360° rotation. You can not do anymore. Whenever I write in chat, write, other players that the old vehicle (ie the handling as I believe in NV6 was) want to return.
I myself haven't solved the problem with turning on low / middle speed (high speed is OK) to rotate it by 360° (on middle speed (=full speed without using nitro), Benders do cca. 135°, Scorps do 180°. I tried to enhance this part; but it only resulted in unusability on full speed.

bOnO
UT2004 Administrator

Post by bOnO » Sat 16 Apr , 2011 4:53 pm

Sry, I read too fast and saw "screeching" instead of "skidding" :? That's this horrible sound I want to be removed :P
Izumo wrote:People are driving there no problem (both on the wall and balls).
--> without raging? It has become hateful and it used to be my fav map :(
Izumo wrote:Didn't notice a problem with handbrake at full speed. Then don't expect to brake in 0.000001m when you are on full speed.
--> That's what was fun with the original handling, and it still required skills. If I wanted to play to a simulation driving game, I wouldn't play unreal.
Izumo wrote:It's fine here (assuming you use nitro when you leave the curve, not when driving in it).
--> It didn't use to be the case, and it's pretty annoying to die because the bender does a stupid move you didn't expect.

iZumo

Post by iZumo » Sat 16 Apr , 2011 5:28 pm

bOnO wrote:Sry, I read too fast and saw "screeching" instead of "skidding" :? That's this horrible sound I want to be removed :P
Well my point was that people will be able to turn that off and on what they like, it won't be a global switch.
bOnO wrote:
Izumo wrote:People are driving there no problem (both on the wall and balls).
--> without raging? It has become hateful and it used to be my fav map :(
I myself didn't find problem with balls. The wall is the bouncing problem. I try to address this in next patch.
bOnO wrote:
Izumo wrote:Didn't notice a problem with handbrake at full speed. Then don't expect to brake in 0.000001m when you are on full speed.
--> That's what was fun with the original handling, and it still required skills. If I wanted to play to a simulation driving game, I wouldn't play unreal.
Fair point. But - yes I intend to resolve the spinning - but the idea is that you spin around and then use nitro to brake yourself. So on full speed you should be doing good already.
bOnO wrote:
Izumo wrote:It's fine here (assuming you use nitro when you leave the curve, not when driving in it).
--> It didn't use to be the case, and it's pretty annoying to die because the bender does a stupid move you didn't expect.
I've milded the effect here a bit.

bOnO
UT2004 Administrator

Post by bOnO » Sat 16 Apr , 2011 6:06 pm

Okay then, I'm waiting the patch ;)

Raven

Post by Raven » Sat 16 Apr , 2011 6:26 pm

I too^^

iZumo

Post by iZumo » Sun 17 Apr , 2011 3:25 am

RAGE!

Solved handbrake issue for good (unrelated to new wheel physics, the mistake was one fucking boolean value) ._.