More active admin/moderating!

Discuss the Race / Assault server here.
Meep

More active admin/moderating!

Post by Meep » Mon 28 Nov , 2011 11:05 am

I know race is boring as shit to some people, but some people just take it in their own hands and try to ruin the game/map for others.

I also understand that the server cannot be supervised 18 hours a day - but is there some way that we can better act against abuse/spawnkilling/deliberate teamkilling/rage teamswitching etc without hoping that someones on the webadmin?

Kickvote is there I understand, but good luck getting 17 people all kickvoting one person (assuming its 51% required, usually its 75%+)

I like whining.

iZumo
Disappeared Administrator

Re: More active admin/moderating!

Post by iZumo » Mon 28 Nov , 2011 1:12 pm

I am not entirely sure if there is a real need for some IRC bot (aka say !admin so admins get poked on IRC) as I myself didn't notice there is that many abusers.

Meep

Post by Meep » Mon 28 Nov , 2011 2:26 pm

Well it's any number of things really.

Someone wanting to get to an objective first so they shoot your vehicle, even on the same team this produces slight direction change and can be fatal.

Or someone getting the raptor and pushing you off the track, which you can do nothing about.

Teamswitching just because your team is losing happens alot too.

Maybe abuse was the wrong word, but it happens alot. Every game has things like this.

Takeo

Post by Takeo » Mon 28 Nov , 2011 4:18 pm

Shooting your team mates off the track with beams: Could you find a way to disable team pushing, izumo?

Raptor pushing: We either should delete all raptors in race maps or place one in each team's spawnbase so we got 1on1 with the raptors to allow the other team to give a response to the raptor campers.

Teamswitching: Totally disable teamswitching? What would you guys think of that?

To the topic:
Is it possible to have a global chat via all LDG servers?
Input: "Say G: admin help!"
Output (On all LDG servers): "Takeo (3): admin help!"
It is likely that there are admins on one of the servers at almost any time (except for 2-10am or so...). We could see the message and jump to the other server for a second to solve the problem.
If chat is too much (because some people might spam and so on) I'd ask myself if at least a "report button" is possible ;)

And if nothing helps: We Have xfire! Just text us and we'll be there.

Meep

Post by Meep » Mon 28 Nov , 2011 4:35 pm

Well the raptor scenario was again teamkilling, nothing against the opposing team doing it, but when its your own team its just..argh.

:p

bOnO
UT2004 Administrator

Post by bOnO » Mon 28 Nov , 2011 4:39 pm

For the raptor, afaik there is only on "HBrace hardcore" that there is only 1 raptor...

Your idea about teamswitching, Takeo seems good to me. You would still be able to teamswitch via speccing (go spec then join a team), but it would limit the teamchanges. It can be worth trying this.

If it's possible the global chat could be useful too. It's true that the problems mainly come from server #1, and it would give us another weapon to intervene.
Its all about the game, and how you play it
All about control, and if you can take it
All about your debt, and if you can payit
Its all about pain and whos gonna make it...

Takeo

Post by Takeo » Mon 28 Nov , 2011 5:53 pm

About the team switching via spectator:
Maybe save the team when going into spec and forcing to join the team when joining the game again? :) Teambalancer should do the rest ;)

Azarael
UT2004 Administrator

Post by Azarael » Mon 28 Nov , 2011 7:36 pm

I would like to add to this thread that I have had a request from #3 to appoint some moderators for when we're not around.

Possible solutions to this:
#1: Give certain trusted members the ability to perform certain moderation functions (moderators)
#2: IRC reporter (similar to admin needed system, I personally would respond to this)

As far as moderation goes, #1 is in a bit of a dead zone. Listing the recently online admins:

Deathblade: rarely online on the server that much
Izumo: online, but generally busy with server improvements
Azarael: decidedly not interested in race
Socio: decidedly not interested in race
Takeo: can't really speak for Takeo, he is on #1 sometimes but #4 is his remit
bOnO: interested in race, but active hours are fairly low (correct me if I'm wrong)

While it's easy to get moderation during Assault games, because Socio and I tend to jump on for them, I don't think we have enough people on the admin staff who are interested in moderating race games. Adding a "moderator" tier of trusted players who have the ability to kick, session ban and mute people would be useful.

iZumo

Post by iZumo » Tue 29 Nov , 2011 12:06 am

I'll include this in next CM update (to allow declaring a member as a moderator, for kicking, session banning, changing teams / force spec and muting). At this moment I'm removing CM ban / mute system and making it to use the "inbuilt one" to make life easier. I think people to become moderators would then be clear for #3, but not very sure how about #1 ...

As of IRC reporter, well I'm working on PC so I'll be able to respond depending on my current busy status.

Global chat would need some time to develop and I don't think it would be useful in particular.

Locking teams in AS has only sense with skill balancer.

As for TKs with beams ... well I don't really think this is necessary; I say :twisted: on obj stealing with TK, but not on consistent hampering. It isn't really frequent.

bOnO
UT2004 Administrator

Post by bOnO » Tue 29 Nov , 2011 12:20 am

As for me, I usually play from 11.30pm to 2-3am (my time) and the weekend afternoon when I can ("active hours fairly low"... more than 3 hours a day, hard to do more.). I would also answer to an IRC request because I'm on my PC almost all the time the afternoon and I can come if needed (most of the time).

Also last time I talked to him DB said he didn't want to moderate, that's why we are here ;)
Its all about the game, and how you play it
All about control, and if you can take it
All about your debt, and if you can payit
Its all about pain and whos gonna make it...