Ballistic Bro Changelogs Discussion

Discuss the Ballistic Weapons servers here.
Pinky
Disappeared Administrator

Re: Ballistic Bro Changelogs Discussion

Post by Pinky » Wed 09 Jan , 2013 1:59 am

iRobot wrote:It also has implications more widespread. Someone who is not being ranked shooting you to low HP, and then getting killed by someone with ranking enabled. Simply interfering in anyway.
Well, some similar "frag stealing" is already occurring with e.g. players spamming their M50 or XK2 on the victim you brought down to low health.

iZumo

Post by iZumo » Wed 09 Jan , 2013 2:20 am

There is no difference with the "frag stealing" for ranked / unranked players. It's rather that players could willingly left themselves killed by an unranked player when they are on low HP or likely to die soon. But that's theorycrafting - I'm not really expecting abuses there and if there will be abuses, players won't be able to openly see who is deranked and who isn't.
Azarael wrote:The easiest fix for that is to move Skill onto Damage Done / Damage Received. Also benefits healers. However, please note that I do not expect that to happen - I am merely pointing it out.
Score is based on damage done (100 dmg ~ 1 pt; 1 thawn player ~ 1 pt). As long as players can heal themselves with fair ease, it's not telling much about your skill (think Calypso).

Calypto

Post by Calypto » Wed 09 Jan , 2013 2:23 am

The new skill system is abuse

iZumo

Post by iZumo » Wed 09 Jan , 2013 2:27 am

Izumo_CZ wrote:Score is based on damage done (100 dmg ~ 1 pt; 1 thawn player ~ 1 pt). As long as players can heal themselves with fair ease, it's not telling much about your skill (think Calypso).
Tears have arrived with speed of light.

Azarael
UT2004 Administrator

Post by Azarael » Wed 09 Jan , 2013 2:36 am

Exclude heals from skill, then. Damage tracking instead of kill tracking is perfectly valid because even if a player heals, the "damage received" component of Skill is not mitigated - contrast G28 users suffering fewer deaths.

iRobot
Junk Administrator

Post by iRobot » Wed 09 Jan , 2013 2:43 am

When do we get item rewards for skill

I want trailers like on elite trials server

iZumo

Post by iZumo » Wed 09 Jan , 2013 3:02 am

Azarael wrote:Exclude heals from skill, then. Damage tracking instead of kill tracking is perfectly valid because even if a player heals, the "damage received" component of Skill is not mitigated - contrast G28 users suffering fewer deaths.
The only way I could imagine a damage based skill system is to tracking the damage that was done to you and erasing the portions as you've been healed and exclude anything that goes to superheal / shields (i.e if you fully heal -> damage received = 0 and anybody who shot you so far will get no damage points from you; the points would be awarded when a player dies). That way you could fairly divide the points from the fallen one and exclude the "useless damage", yes.

Database is recalcuable for that and it isn't difficult to implement. I'm doubful about how much the result would differ and whether it's worhty to implement, however. I would expect that in a bigger sample, everyone would have the fields "kills I stole" and "kills sbdy stole from me" comparable.

Azarael
UT2004 Administrator

Post by Azarael » Wed 09 Jan , 2013 3:24 am

You don't need to exclude anything when using a wholly damage based system. If people have pocket HMCers or other strong healing support under a kill/death system, they benefit strongly because if they don't die, their enemies don't get shit in terms of Skill reward. In a damage based system, if you deal or receive damage, you get the appropriate credit irrespective of other circumstances and I think that's always fair - indeed, it's one of the strong points of 3SPN's scoring system. You can heal all the HP you want in a round and live for as long as you like, but unless your skill magically increased you'll still be doing x damage per unit of damage received, thus pushing skill onto your OWN ability to mitigate incoming damage.

The only caveat here is that I believe overkill damage is currently tracked as the damage the killing hit did, and not as the remaining HP of the player.

Calypto

Post by Calypto » Wed 09 Jan , 2013 4:16 am

iRobot wrote:I want trailers like on elite trials server
Implying you earned anything more than the silver skin

iZumo

Post by iZumo » Wed 09 Jan , 2013 4:31 am

If you shoot someone and he fully recovers then your shot was entirely useless and you don't deserve to get any credit in terms of skill as the enemy team was not weakened at any rate. 3SPN scoring has been designed for TAM as its main gametype with standard weapons, where there is no healing (unless there are random pickups) and no thawing - I can agree that it works there as in these circumstances it is also pretty much the same as my viewpoint on the matter.

Thawing and healing is a significant part of Freon and BW as there are G28 and Defibs (HMC not as much) and when you are thawing someone you count with the risk of receiving some damage as you expose yourself and are stationary. Under your terms healing is exluded from skill, so you gain literally nothing from thawing and only risk of receiving damage because someone else have failed - and from the point of ranking system, have no motivation to heal / thaw at all. Prove me wrong, not only you have suggested that a significant part of the goal of the gametype is not within the ranking system but it actually collides with it - and that is a killer argument.

Overkilling in 3SPN isn't handled, though it's not difficult to handle this properly inside pawn class.