Assault Ladder

Discuss the Race / Assault server here.

Do you want the skill of the players to be public or not?

Yes, make it public for everyone
49%
No, show only my own skill
No votes
No, don't show skill at all
51%

Total votes: 35

iRobot
Junk Administrator

Re: Assault Ladder

Post by iRobot » Fri 03 May , 2013 1:23 pm

You can set to see people as fluorescent colours in UTcomp. Surprised you didn't know this, makes me wonder how many people don't

I also happen to use green for enemies ^_^

ZioFede

Post by ZioFede » Fri 03 May , 2013 1:26 pm

Derp okay, I'll try it just to see how weird is that. I remember people doing it in TAM, so I always though it wasn't that easy. I probably knew that, but forgot it the next second.

God should have let Paul live and let you die instead, worthless piece of shit. -Mr. H&some about a random actor-

Azarael
UT2004 Administrator

Post by Azarael » Fri 03 May , 2013 1:37 pm

Well, I've already stated my opinion, which is that I find his manner of play acceptable.

Edit:
Izumo_CZ wrote:@iRobot: I see what I said about the "def frm" just like when you frm on att by "clearing the area w/o progressing on the obj". Your usefulness is to the team converges to 0.
Can we please stop peddling this myth. If people are still playing in this manner despite getting no skill for it, there's clearly a tactical benefit in doing so.

iRobot
Junk Administrator

Post by iRobot » Fri 03 May , 2013 1:43 pm

Perhaps the root of the issue is the said 'reports' that lead to this. From whom? Why? When? Bitter about losing? Potential drama queen? Do we have the full story?

The fact that someone can report a player for excessive killing in assault seems about as strong as wet tissue paper.

Also Aza has said this is acceptable, implying he does the same. +1000 for him too as well as me.

I mean how far should we take it?

Someone shooting bio into a narrow doorway blind is not defending, they're just hoping for easy kills. Should they be penalized? Random stombos around corners? Could be farming.

iZumo
Disappeared Administrator

Post by iZumo » Fri 03 May , 2013 2:03 pm

Azarael wrote:Well, I've already stated my opinion, which is that I find his manner of play acceptable.

Edit:
Izumo_CZ wrote:@iRobot: I see what I said about the "def frm" just like when you frm on att by "clearing the area w/o progressing on the obj". Your usefulness is to the team converges to 0.
Can we please stop peddling this myth. If people are still playing in this manner despite getting no skill for it, there's clearly a tactical benefit in doing so.
People can play the way they want but it doesn't change anything in the fact that it's farming (regarding att frm).

Socio

Post by Socio » Fri 03 May , 2013 2:07 pm

BabyDontHurtMeNoMore wrote:yea, I find it pretty unfair from Socio who exploits vehicle deaths to gain skill that he kind of reported me for "camping" which isnt actually forbidden. Everyone on the server who has played against me, know that I am a good player and that I deserved the skill I had. Im pretty sure I would beat Socio in a 1v1 fairly easily.
Yes, I always exploit vehicle deaths, because when I try to destroy attacking enemy vehicle advantage there is always a chance I get killed by it and I thought hitting a vehicle with loaded rockets in close range is a more efficient way to destroy it then sniping it from 200m, but what do I know kiddingme
I didnt report you for camping, I reported you for gaming the system, and yeah, I'm average in this game, so I wont deny that either.
BabyDontHurtMeNoMore wrote:Other question: Would you report noobs who are trying the same thing but failing cause they dont have the aim/SKILL for it? No you wont, why do you report ppl who have enough skill to do it and actually do it successfully?
Yes, yes I would report everyone who tries to game the system, but I noticed only you changing your gamestyle to this extent. If you would hide and snipe on all maps I wouldnt care fts
> team-spec*Socio: i see a new rais map
> team-spec*Socio: curious if ikea
> H&some: its not
> H&some: its actually pretty good

Azarael
UT2004 Administrator

Post by Azarael » Fri 03 May , 2013 2:14 pm

"When you have six equally skilled hackers, one with a heavy machinegun and five with pistols, you should order them all to charge in and sit hacking the terminal regardless of their offensive ability or optimum tactics."

"Covering fire is to be avoided at all costs."

- Military Tactics The Izumo Way, #1 Comedy Bestseller.

---------------------

The point is that we all change our strategy on skill maps.

iZumo

Post by iZumo » Fri 03 May , 2013 2:43 pm

> Implying you actually protect someone on the objective rather than killing random defenders and thus being useless.
> Implying that in most cases the 5 hackers with pistol actually reach the objective, unlike the one guy with heavy machinegun.
> Implying your tactics isn't crippled when defender gets in a position from where he guards obective and you can't shoot him (nice example was in Damnation).

It's like sending pawns to attack with the queen making sure they reach the middle of the chessboard but not any futher.
Azarael wrote:The point is that we all change our strategy on skill maps.
Yes, we play more seriously and carefully, in both AS and BW - it's one of the reasons why peak hours on BW are no-EFR hours. But we're speaking about gaming the system, that is gaining skill in a non-intended way (and up until this issue nobody spoke of def frm).

proof
Banned

Post by proof » Fri 03 May , 2013 4:44 pm

I posted screenshots yesterday, did you have a look at it Izumo? Socio who reported me made these two maps and thus the wonderful camp spots. Now you call it gaming the system when I use what he created? Done give the Defenders a Lightnung Gun and I wont camp, but as long as you give me a Lightning Gun (no matter on which map), I will use it most of the time - doesnt matter if its a skillmap or not.

@Zio: everyone can change the enmies/allies to the same skin if they want to. Just needs to edit the ut2004.ini in the system folder if i remember right. AS iRobot already said they all have the same hitbox. For me its just a matter of habit. After you shoot the same character for a couple of years you know exactly where you have to aim for a headshot. And your eye doesnt get confused by too many different enemies. you can also disable your own footstep sounds if you want to, which I obviously did cause theyre annoying. the lightskin color can be changed in the utcomp menu like iRobot said before, I think its the shortcut F5 ingame if I remember right. I used white and pink for a long time too but green seems even better to me.
Socio wrote:Yes, I always exploit vehicle deaths, because when I try to destroy attacking enemy vehicle advantage there is always a chance I get killed by it and I thought hitting a vehicle with loaded rockets in close range is a more efficient way to destroy it then sniping it from 200m, but what do I know kiddingme
You even admitted that you jump into the vehicle on purpose, dont try to dodge out of your statement. When we were talking about which map is the best for getting skill I mentioned Hera but didnt state a reason yet. Then you said "yea its because you can use the hellbender to avoid getting deaths".
Socio wrote:Yes, yes I would report everyone who tries to game the system, but I noticed only you changing your gamestyle to this extent. If you would hide and snipe on all maps I wouldnt care fts
No you dont. Because I see like 3 or 4 other people camping at the same spots like me every time but none of them does it as successful as me because they dont have the skill for it thus no one notices that they do it. Also, I do hide and snipe from distance on other maps where its possible. its always a question about possibility, but unrated assault maps are often based on vehicles thats why I said that Id do it most of the time in skill maps. On grandcanyon2k4 for example I do the same thing because its the easiest way to kill incoming attackers for me. other people spam link primary into the attackers but dont hit shit. I use lightning and actually kill them. Now the interesting part is, when I die for example at the lift objective, attackers ALWAYS come through. As long as I am alive they wont. See my point in sniping and staying alive at the same time? I hope you do. Does anyone complain there? No, not even you because you only care if I get skill-points by doing so. Does anyone else complain that I do it in some skill maps? No, its just you.
Art in a frame is like an eagle in a birdcage.

iZumo

Post by iZumo » Fri 03 May , 2013 6:39 pm

I said I made the punishment based on reports (in which I get the point) and thus won't judge myself.