How to improve your game?

Discuss matters related to LDG or UT2004 which aren't specific to any server.
Butcher
V.I.P. Member

How to improve your game?

Post by Butcher » Fri 04 Jan , 2013 5:08 pm

Hi All,
I was wondering if the experienced players could share some tips on how to improve your game. This involves several topics:
-How to aim better while moving. Or decide to stop to shoot with aim?
-How to run and manuver faster?
-What techniques are more suitable. Aggressive Attack, patient well aimed,hit and run...

I have analysed while frozen some players (when they are in yor team) and I've noticed several things such as for example:
-most of them do not stop to thaw, they remain moving around you. Normally they pass next to you through.
-they shoot using bursts, seems to me that the first bullets are mainly on target, rest are random. The aim is impecable.
-they tend to move swiftly, faster... they use a lot the dodge while running and close figting, but to escape situation jump->dodge-> jump with the wall or with the sprint and in 2 hops they are out of there.
-Avoid confrontations when they are alone or confronted to groups of rivals.
-The correct weapon for the map combination. (The ones that use different weapons)
-To kill and not to die gives more points rather than to thaw. Which means, killing as much and surviving longer is the main technique used.
-Sometimes even if they are with 100 health they use the health kits to be 155. So to maintain the highest health possible always is a great advantage.
-Usage of adrenaline is immediate.
Please understand these are things I have noticed and probably some of them are incorrect, if someone would like to share or comment, this is an open invitation for discussion...

Best wishes for the 2013 to all,
Butcher
.=
"An BW match is a test of your skill against your opponents' luck." :)

CaptainXavious
V.I.P. Member

Re: How to improve your game?

Post by CaptainXavious » Fri 04 Jan , 2013 5:19 pm

Firing in short burst helps manage the recoil (the longer you fire, the more recoil you'll get per shot), and standing still for any reason is poor planning. When you are stationary you are extremely easy to hit.

Weapons have optimal ranges and some are very powerful under some conditions but mostly useless in others. Picking the right one for the right environment, as you observed, is a good idea.

iRobot
Junk Administrator

Post by iRobot » Fri 04 Jan , 2013 5:27 pm

Butcher wrote:Hi All,
I was wondering if the experienced players could share some tips on how to improve your game. This involves several topics:
-How to aim better while moving. Or decide to stop to shoot with aim?
No difference to standard here, if you are chasing, then shoot on the move, if you are unseen by your target, crouch with sights, or just sights (usually as good)

-How to run and manuver faster?
Learn the maps, I use forward dodge often, it's difficult to judge some jumps due to the BallisticPawns moving slower than regular Pawns, but you get used to it.

-What techniques are more suitable. Aggressive Attack, patient well aimed,hit and run...
He who dares......will die to pineapples. That's what I generally play by. I'll hangback and play ranged unless I see an opening to flank with shotgun. Stay with your team, you can stand next to an ally to heal to their current HP, this is underused in a lot of situations.

I have analysed while frozen some players (when they are in yor team) and I've noticed several things such as for example:

-most of them do not stop to thaw, they remain moving around you. Normally they pass next to you through.
Standing still opens you up to a sniper round to the head.

-they shoot using bursts, seems to me that the first bullets are mainly on target, rest are random. The aim is impecable.
The first few shots are always the most accurate, then recoil kicks in heavily. Short controlled bursts wherever possible.

-they tend to move swiftly, faster... they use a lot the dodge while running and close figting, but to escape situation jump->dodge-> jump with the wall or with the sprint and in 2 hops they are out of there.
I personally don't use sprint, dodge jumping drains your sprintbar anyway, but always have an escape route planned :P

-Avoid confrontations when they are alone or confronted to groups of rivals.
Common sense really, I wont avoid confrontations alone, because I'm confident I can usually handle it. I wont take 2-3+ people on at once however.

-The correct weapon for the map combination. (The ones that use different weapons)
I generally keep SRS-600 or 900 on all the time, if its a small map I'll have a shotgun at secondary, if its something like grendelkeep, I'll throw on a sniper. The better players change weapons all the time to suit the map.

-To kill and not to die gives more points rather than to thaw. Which means, killing as much and surviving longer is the main technique used.
In all honestly, thawing is usually not worth it as it keeps you in the same spot for a long time, and the maps are usually small. I hope nobody takes offense if I skip thawing them.

-Sometimes even if they are with 100 health they use the health kits to be 155. So to maintain the highest health possible always is a great advantage.
Many weapons do over 100 damage, very few do over 155 damage, that's the reason mainly.

-Usage of adrenaline is immediate.
Can't say I see this much. Better to use it at the right time rather than as soon as you reach 100. Berserk is highly underrated for one-vs-many scenarios however.

Please understand these are things I have noticed and probably some of them are incorrect, if someone would like to share or comment, this is an open invitation for discussion...

Best wishes for the 2013 to all,
Butcher
.=
My #1 tip to everyone, is when you are able, always reload, even if you have 99% capacity.

Oska
The wise man

Post by Oska » Fri 04 Jan , 2013 6:14 pm

iRobot wrote:The better players change weapons all the time to suit the map.
Aapchen always uses the same weapons. So it depends on what you are able to do with your weapons.
anyway, did someone put their salami into your mama's underwear or something? - team-spec*Azarael

Azarael
UT2004 Administrator

Post by Azarael » Fri 04 Jan , 2013 7:03 pm

Ääpchen most likely stuck with the M46 Red Dot Sight because it was bugged and had the best hipfire ability in the game. Whether he will continue to use solely the M46 Red Dot Sight post-patch remains to be seen, as there are other weapons with superior hipfire ability.

Calypto

Post by Calypto » Sat 05 Jan , 2013 3:00 am

Oska wrote:
Aapchen always uses the same weapons. So it depends on what you are able to do with your weapons.
Don't worry M46 RDS was nerfed

Oska
The wise man

Post by Oska » Sat 05 Jan , 2013 4:26 pm

Calypto wrote:
Oska wrote:
Don't worry M46 RDS had been fucked.
I corrected that for you. No need to thank me.
anyway, did someone put their salami into your mama's underwear or something? - team-spec*Azarael

Azarael
UT2004 Administrator

Post by Azarael » Sat 05 Jan , 2013 7:28 pm

M46 RDS was de facto bugged. When the RDS fire was split off from the A1 fire, the FireChaos value wasn't copied over. I'm actually very disappointed that the problem wasn't reported to me as a number of you appear to have worked out that the M46 had better hipfire than every other weapon in the game and I don't use the M46. Meanwhile, you in particular, Oska, bleat about melee weapon balance every chance you get.

Oh well. Time to watch Crösska sink in skill.

iRobot
Junk Administrator

Post by iRobot » Sat 05 Jan , 2013 8:12 pm

Many weapons have lets just say... overly favourable hipfire.

I know most of them =D

Oska
The wise man

Post by Oska » Sat 05 Jan , 2013 9:09 pm

Azarael wrote:Meanwhile, you in particular, Oska, bleat about melee weapon balance every chance you get.
Maybe because the way you deal with Melee does not make any sense to some (including me)? Nerfing the melee weapons and keeping OP melee on riffles/guns makes lots of sense. "If you want a melee game go play blablabla".

And about the M46 supposed-to-be bug, how were we supposed to find out there had one? It's like the only weapon I've used so far. I could had tried to compare with the staffs' fireChaos but I would have found no difference.