Donations in general

Discuss matters related to LDG or UT2004 which aren't specific to any server.
Skaldy
V.I.P. Member

Re: Donations in general

Post by Skaldy » Tue 02 Jul , 2013 10:31 am

OK, I've subscribed for €10 pcm. Well, until the euro collapses anyway ;)
Izumo_CZ wrote:1) Currently there are no V.I.P. slots.
A few (2-4) wouldn't do any harm, IMHO, but I'll probably just avoid peak times for other reasons.

Shoot you later @=

iRobot
Junk Administrator

Post by iRobot » Tue 02 Jul , 2013 10:47 am

Thanks!

We might be able to afford to move away from the shithole that is OVH soon

=D

VIP player slots are not a good idea, 22 players is already a choke on some maps.

VIP spectator slots could be an idea though. I know admins already have this ability.

Skaldy
V.I.P. Member

Post by Skaldy » Tue 02 Jul , 2013 12:01 pm

iRobot wrote:VIP player slots are not a good idea, 22 players is already a choke on some maps.
I didn't mean change the 22 limit, I just meant have 4 reserved and 18 normal - of course I don't know if that's even possible.
iRobot wrote:We might be able to afford to move away from the shithole that is OVH soon
I can't be the only one who would happily pay a one-off donation to get us onto an efficient German server...! But I can also understand the time & effort spent transferring would be significant, with no guarantee of improvement for the majority.

Does anyone ever hassle OVH about the P/L ?

iZumo
Disappeared Administrator

Post by iZumo » Tue 02 Jul , 2013 12:21 pm

Well, you can't just hope that moving the server will solve all things. As you say there is no guarantee of improvement. Secondly, not every part has to be caused by OVH; the packetloss has a form of short blackouts, rather than constant P/L. You can't really hassle with them over that as there's no magic fix.

iRobot
Junk Administrator

Post by iRobot » Tue 02 Jul , 2013 12:24 pm

That's the point. Constant P/L isn't too bad.

It's the random spikes that are annoying.

Fine, fine, fine, fine, fine, fine, fine, SUDDENLY 200 P/L *You were killed by l33tsh00t3r*

iZumo

Post by iZumo » Tue 02 Jul , 2013 12:27 pm

No the thing is that constant p/l (which renders vehicles unusable btw.) is clearly a provider problem. Short blackouts are not so clear.

iRobot
Junk Administrator

Post by iRobot » Tue 02 Jul , 2013 12:30 pm

It's clearly a provider issue when a large portion of the player base is suffering the same symptoms, and this goes back months.

I already have fucking platinum plated ethernet cable and it's still doing it.

Skaldy
V.I.P. Member

Post by Skaldy » Tue 02 Jul , 2013 12:38 pm

iRobot wrote:It's the random spikes that are annoying.
My lag spikes are more frequent between 5pm and 9pm GMT, which implies the internet.

But there also seem to be spikes when there are heavy confrontations within the map, or it's the end of a match - does that imply that part of the problem is that the server is CPU-bound sometimes?

At least that could be confirmed on the host OS perhaps?

Nardaq_NL

Post by Nardaq_NL » Wed 03 Jul , 2013 11:09 pm

Izumo_CZ wrote:Well, you can't just hope that moving the server will solve all things.
this is at least one of the ways to find out. and I'm happy to pay a (part) of a month rental on second opinion host.
If you swap host its easy:
pl still present -> server (amusing you keep the current one)
PL gone -> OVH
Izumo_CZ wrote: As you say there is no guarantee of improvement. Secondly, not every part has to be caused by OVH; the packetloss has a form of short blackouts, rather than constant P/L. You can't really hassle with them over that as there's no magic fix.
the OVH infrastructure you can compare to Russian roulette. EVERY F*cking packet is router trough a different switch/hop/link. inside the OVH infrastructure, to it final destination.

home joinha
ISP joinha
AMX joinha
OVH HOP fuu
OVH HOP joinha
OVH HOP fuu
OVH HOP joinha
OVH HOP joinha
OVH HOP fuu
OVH HOP fuu
LDG SERVER ;"(

Skaldy wrote:
iRobot wrote:It's the random spikes that are annoying.
My lag spikes are more frequent between 5pm and 9pm GMT, which implies the internet.
[...]
I've had this issue before 3months ago or so, but the ping is now slightly increased compared the double/tripple the ping (not mentioned the spikes i had (no PL))

iZumo

Post by iZumo » Thu 04 Jul , 2013 9:08 am

So what about the alternative? Any tips? What about http://i3d.net/? One month tryout price is would be 140E. Another try is http://www.hetzner.de/. Also the "1 month tryouts" - there is a setup fee, so not a really good way to go.