HMC Photon Cannon

For discussion of gameplay and weapon balance. This is a discussion forum and post quality is moderated.
iRobot
Junk Administrator

Re: HMC Photon Cannon

Post by iRobot » Thu 22 Aug , 2013 4:39 pm

Flak cannon, rocket launcher, bio rifle and assault rifle are all weapons with pushback.

To take a fine HMC map, RiftCity, you can't legitimately argue the map maker didn't intend for the environmental hazards to come into play there, by way of many bridges and overhanging walkways.

Oska
The wise man

Post by Oska » Thu 22 Aug , 2013 4:43 pm

But you can't be pushed 100m away with those weapons.

I don't know when all those maps have been created nor when the BW weapons were, but I assume the maps were created before the BW package.
anyway, did someone put their salami into your mama's underwear or something? - team-spec*Azarael

iRobot
Junk Administrator

Post by iRobot » Thu 22 Aug , 2013 4:52 pm

The point is, whether you're using swords or laser guns, the pitfalls are a feature of the map to be used.

Azarael
UT2004 Administrator

Post by Azarael » Thu 22 Aug , 2013 5:01 pm

iRobot wrote:If the map has environmental hazards then who are you to decide whether we can or can't take advantage of that?

The map maker obviously intended it to be a pitfall.
If you start questioning my authority to decide the gameplay, you can use that to oppose pretty much everything I ever do.

No standard weapon is as cheap as the HMC when it comes to pushing players into traps. The Shock Rifle has the best knockback at that range and it's a timed weapon which can be reflected by the Shield Gun.

Oska
The wise man

Post by Oska » Thu 22 Aug , 2013 5:03 pm

So the point here is that the map makers didn't intend players to be pushed that easily.
anyway, did someone put their salami into your mama's underwear or something? - team-spec*Azarael

iRobot
Junk Administrator

Post by iRobot » Thu 22 Aug , 2013 5:06 pm

Azarael wrote:
iRobot wrote:If the map has environmental hazards then who are you to decide whether we can or can't take advantage of that?

The map maker obviously intended it to be a pitfall.
If you start questioning my authority to decide the gameplay, you can use that to oppose pretty much everything I ever do.

No standard weapon is as cheap as the HMC when it comes to pushing players into traps. The Shock Rifle has the best knockback at that range and it's a timed weapon which can be reflected by the Shield Gun.
It's a valid concern. Often you are adjusting the gameplay on what you yourself wish to see, rather than what others do. Most recent example being weapon sway, where nobody sees this as a positive addition but you.

Regarding the shock rifle, I can't believe I forgot about that one. Use of shield gun is an apt example, as you could just alter defibs to do the same effect.

Oska
The wise man

Post by Oska » Thu 22 Aug , 2013 5:11 pm

Like lots of you like to say:

Azarael
UT2004 Administrator

Post by Azarael » Thu 22 Aug , 2013 5:45 pm

Players should not be forced in a position where they MUST take defibrillators or have maps with hazards become unplayable. I'm surprised that you'd try to argue that the HMC, as a weapon specifically designed to be an extremely effective and effortless tractor/repulsor, requires any skill whatsoever to lay waste to entire teams on any map where you can fall to your death. The HMC code applies a Z velocity bonus to you for the tractor beam effect to work regardless of the angle the HMC is used at. Factoring in this as well as the ability to switch to tractor mode, killing with it on maps like Bridge of Fate, Rift City, OldHaven etc. is pathetically easy.

To turn things around on you... nobody misses HMC gitting except Izumo and you.

Weapon sway (by that I assume you mean offsetting when moving with heavy killstreaks) was made to balance the power of the AT40 and LAW.

iRobot
Junk Administrator

Post by iRobot » Thu 22 Aug , 2013 5:49 pm

HMC has no use otherwise, it's a white elephant. Tone down the range then, but it having no use is just nonsensical.

Weapon sway is not the correct approach to balance KS weapons. It just results in suicides for the user. That's not enjoyable.

Azarael
UT2004 Administrator

Post by Azarael » Thu 22 Aug , 2013 5:50 pm

Its use was not intended to be map-dependent yet outrageous offense. All I can really say about the HMC is that it's not for everyone.