HMC Photon Cannon

For discussion of gameplay and weapon balance. This is a discussion forum and post quality is moderated.
iRobot
Junk Administrator

Re: HMC Photon Cannon

Post by iRobot » Thu 22 Aug , 2013 5:53 pm

Azarael wrote:Its use was not intended to be map-dependent yet outrageous offense. All I can really say about the HMC is that it's not for anyone.
It being map dependent is better than EFR dependent.

pupimassa

Post by pupimassa » Thu 22 Aug , 2013 6:20 pm

Think you all forgot about being punished for pushing players out of a map with HMC - you get instantly killed for "trying to git someone out".
Tractor is still great to pull snipers down from some upper place, but only dmg that takes it is player's falling.(

Butcher
V.I.P. Member

Post by Butcher » Thu 22 Aug , 2013 6:28 pm

Unfortunately the "Push/Pull" function on any weapon is being abused normally, and specially in maps with any environmental hazards. Therefore missusage leads to nerfing or hindering the weapon.

The defibs were being used to push teammates and others. And in the past HMC in all maps with hazards to push anybody of the edge. The railgun push is the cause of all deaths from upper position on a direct hit, and also the current way to push any opponent in a map like Riftcity. Actually it pushes you even if you have walls and obstacles between, as for example in riftcity when there is someone in the sniper upper post, you may shoot them over the edge using the thermal scope.
"An BW match is a test of your skill against your opponents' luck." :)

focus

Post by focus » Thu 22 Aug , 2013 6:57 pm

Please! We have deviated from the original subject. I don't care much about push/pull functionality.
What about healing functionality? HMC certainly is an unpopular weapon these days, and improving healing rate surely will change that. HMC players should become an important element of the team and gameflow. The preference for HMC is offset by need to sacrifice a weaponslot for it. So, i am not sure that many players will really switch to it.

pupimassa

Post by pupimassa » Thu 22 Aug , 2013 7:34 pm

Therefore I suggest slightly increase dmg/healing of the healing beam. Now, damage popup shows 4dmg per 0.5 sec, is it true? Dont know, just guessing. If that would be 6 (+1/3), it would heal and thaw 1/3 faster and that should help.
I think thawing at range at 2 or 3 sec is a bad idea, that would be OP.
What do you think?

iRobot
Junk Administrator

Post by iRobot » Thu 22 Aug , 2013 7:35 pm

Rather than the primary fire of the healing having a damage charge, alter it so it fires a healing beam, like the alt. Fully charge will heal the target for 170hp.

focus

Post by focus » Thu 22 Aug , 2013 8:12 pm

OP? Consider that beam is highly visible, and HMC user will surely draw all enemy fire upon himself. Also, while he is thawing, he doesn't move.
Strong healing abilities will make support role attractive. And low-skillers will finally become useful.

HMC surely can be useful in big maps, like DM-Rail. But now, time to thaw one player is too high to be alive until thawing. And I want to be able to thaw not just one person. In critical situation, when half of team is frozen and other half is low-HP, i want to be able to quickly ressurect the team and improve our chances for victory.
In that way, having supportive player in team, will become a necessity. It also an interesting twist in game.

1-shot strong healing impulse also a good idea
Last edited by focus on Thu 22 Aug , 2013 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pupimassa

Post by pupimassa » Thu 22 Aug , 2013 8:42 pm

I use hmc primary pulse very often, just running and having it charged and its a great wep for killing, so i wouldn't like to use charging "wasted" on a healing pulse...I prefer healing beam becoming more effective.)

Skaldy
V.I.P. Member

Post by Skaldy » Thu 22 Aug , 2013 9:29 pm

A single healer on a team already means a likely victory over a team without (if the skills are balanced).

It doesn't need to heal any faster, otherwise it would be too hard for the team with fewer healers. We only want to reach the boredom of timeout every few rounds, not every round.

Butcher
V.I.P. Member

Post by Butcher » Fri 23 Aug , 2013 10:52 am

focus wrote:1-shot strong healing impulse also a good idea
I think this is a Bad idea, makes very likely the team with more healers to win.

I agree the healing ability could be a bit improved, or perhaps to give more ammo, when I have used it I normally run out of Ammo within the game. Also the stopping at 96% that sucks.

What could be interesting perhaps is if the healing beam could heal/thaw both teams (as the F28). Then you really got to aim to your teammate and not randomly shoot to the crowd.
"An BW match is a test of your skill against your opponents' luck." :)