RACE-Derby

For posting your maps.
ZioFede

Re: RACE-Derby[I3][E1][R][REV]

Post by ZioFede » Mon 02 Dec , 2013 11:36 am

iRobot wrote:lol who uses linux
Not me, but I remember someone on ldg playing on it... whatever ;'D'D

God should have let Paul live and let you die instead, worthless piece of shit. -Mr. H&some about a random actor-

Earl_Vencar.:LLS:.
Disappeared Administrator

Post by Earl_Vencar.:LLS:. » Fri 06 Dec , 2013 8:03 pm

Problem on the previous version: the triggered platform on route to the second to last objective (just past the really steep slope, before you approach the top of the maze). Well, I just fell straight through it. Could you fix this before the new version becomes online? Thanks!
“We humans do not understand compassion. In each moment of our lives, we betray it. Aye, we know of its worth, yet in knowing we then attach to it a value, we guard the giving of it, believing it must be earned. Compassion is priceless in the truest sense of the word. It must be given freely. In abundance.”

darkelf

Post by darkelf » Sat 07 Dec , 2013 8:44 am

Earl_Vencar.:LLS:. wrote:Problem on the previous version: the triggered platform on route to the second to last objective (just past the really steep slope, before you approach the top of the maze). Well, I just fell straight through it. Could you fix this before the new version becomes online? Thanks!
I have never ever had that happened to me. I'll try it out just to see if i can duplicate it. As most of the movers in the map are perfectly functional never had to mess with the collision on any of them. I'll fix it if it is needed. But if its one of those things where the only way you fall through is if you put car at a specific angle ie point car straight down when landing.. well then.. no.

Even with best collision you can do for a mover its a slim possibility you will fall through or get glitched either way. Landing on a mover pointed down is generally a common sense thing not to do.

The only way truly to fix this from ever happening period. Is to remove not just that one triggered mover that flings out an extension landing but to replace the ones that are just like it on obj rooms 2 3 and 4. I could do that. But I think its a trial in its own and should be left alone. This map has a very good way of teaching players how to properly land on mover platforms. To take that out would be wrong.

Thoughts?
Modified Skins links: Yoda team colors viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2134&p=19097#p19097 Man assassin viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1468&p=10763#p10763 Women Assassin viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1999&p=16615&hilit=skin#p16615
> WebAdmin [dark_elfy]: who is this pepsiman.. he seems really talkative and pissed off
> Earl_Vencar.:LLS:.: i told him i liked coca cola

Post by Earl_Vencar.:LLS:. » Sat 07 Dec , 2013 12:41 pm

It's an angle problem (well, a combination of angle and speed); I've also never had this problem before on this particular map (and I've approached with this particular angle before), but it is also an occurrence on some other maps. Can you fix it? That's problematic. I say leave it. It's a bit annoying, but changing this particular mover may set a precedence over fixing all the others, and it is a rare event after all.
“We humans do not understand compassion. In each moment of our lives, we betray it. Aye, we know of its worth, yet in knowing we then attach to it a value, we guard the giving of it, believing it must be earned. Compassion is priceless in the truest sense of the word. It must be given freely. In abundance.”

darkelf

Post by darkelf » Sat 07 Dec , 2013 1:31 pm

Movers in ut2004 are a very well known and accepted fact that they suck. Badly. Typically they can be fixed and work as intended. However there is no way to completely fix them without having draw backs/side effects. I'm more inclined to let this mover go as it is a very rare event and as you stated its most likely do to angle of landing.

This is why I hate using movers in maps with vehicles as it just makes it annoying to get them to function 100% without error. Which is why I prefer to use movers for doors and foot objs only.

To recap. Now that it is confirmed that this happened due to improper landing angle. I will not be doing a hot fix. As it is not needed.
Modified Skins links: Yoda team colors viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2134&p=19097#p19097 Man assassin viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1468&p=10763#p10763 Women Assassin viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1999&p=16615&hilit=skin#p16615
> WebAdmin [dark_elfy]: who is this pepsiman.. he seems really talkative and pissed off

Azarael
UT2004 Administrator

Post by Azarael » Sat 07 Dec , 2013 2:26 pm

It is easy to fix.

darkelf

Post by darkelf » Sat 07 Dec , 2013 2:46 pm

Azarael wrote:It is easy to fix.
My thought process is that the map is already on server and that this very rare incident isn't worth fixing unless there is more to be fixed.

Although chances are if one mover is allowing cars to fall through when doing straight dives into them the rest will be same way. I will have to redo the collision for every mover in that map. Easy? Most are cubes. So yes. However there is one that isn't the /\/ mover is interesting and I'm not very confident that I could figure out how to use the cube draw tool to match up to it.

So back to my original thought of.. Is this completely necessary?

Sigh.... I can't seem to ever get away from doing simple map fixes.. I want so desperately to work on original work!

Post by Earl_Vencar.:LLS:. » Sat 07 Dec , 2013 5:13 pm

No, I don't think it's necessary to change all (or perhaps any) of the movers because the problem isn't isolated solely to this map. I brought it up just in case it signified an underlying problem. I did notice, however, that the mover in question is the only mover in the map that isn't set to blocking karma. Could this solve the problem? I checked up on some of the other movers I know I've fallen through, and they are all set up exactly the same.

Azarael
UT2004 Administrator

Post by Azarael » Sat 07 Dec , 2013 5:38 pm

bBlockKarma should be true on all movers interacting with vehicles. If their mesh has Karma collision geometry, bUseSimpleBoxCollision should be true, else it should be false.

darkelf

Post by darkelf » Sat 07 Dec , 2013 7:45 pm

We'll I can fix that if the map isn't already online ill do quick hot fix however I will not be able to do it till tommrow mid day