Map Rotation Opinions

For discussion of gameplay and weapon balance. This is a discussion forum and post quality is moderated.

What map rotation do you like?

Popular maps available every evening - because the maps are good
22%
Popular maps available every evening - because I know them well
No votes
More maps in the pool by blocking popular maps the following evening
61%
I don't mind either option
17%

Total votes: 23

Azarael
UT2004 Administrator

Re: Map Rotation Opinions

Post by Azarael » Thu 26 Dec , 2013 12:36 am

I'd also like to note that the average length of a Highlander map is 43 1/2 minutes and it has occupied 283 hours of server time, almost all of that being in evening primetime. The next most popular map, Osiris, has 200 hours.

iZumo
Disappeared Administrator

Post by iZumo » Thu 26 Dec , 2013 1:06 am

iRobot wrote:Highlander has high average playercount because it's artificially rigged to only be vote-able during peak hours. Therefore, it'll often be 22/22, simply by way of the map being blocked at anything less.

If you vote the map with 5-10 players, you're met with "You can't vote this map right now."
If you vote the map with 11-16, your vote weight is handicapped.

Why are you not quoting player stats from other maps? Maps like FreeTibet and Goatswood? These are good maps, suitable for 22/22, that don't seem to be played often, for some reason.

No offense but your 'solution' to preserve Highlander is laughable. The topic itself is based on the problem of playing Highlander daily. To offer Highlander as the only protected map is not welcome.
Goatswood has 18.95 @ 116 hours, FreeTibet has 18.89 @ 66 hours; both with negative +/-. Sure, Highlander is set to be available mainly in the peak hors (logically, big map -> not for small or middle playercount) - but it also doesn't happen that players would quit on that one. The topic is based on same maps being played daily, not just Highlander. No offense but if there is going to be a minority (and it looks like that so), then it's not resulting in "100% win" for the "map rotation side". I myself am to believe that if the poll goes at it does now (overwhelmingly towards better map rotation), Highlander will be the one to be chosen to "maximally perserve" by those who wish to play it on evenings.

iRobot
Junk Administrator

Post by iRobot » Thu 26 Dec , 2013 1:12 am

Did you care for the minority when they wanted the Havocs/Venoms to remain on the Race/Assault server? Nope, they were just flat out removed. That poll wasn't even 80/20, that was more like 60/40. Why care for the minority now?

It's pretty clear that people's jimmies are rustled over the same maps. If you're going to leave the ability to have these same maps voted (as per your Highlander suggestion) then we're not getting anywhere at all.

If Highlander remains available daily, then its a 100% lose for the majority. That alone is bad for the server.

iZumo

Post by iZumo » Thu 26 Dec , 2013 1:14 am

Find me a post when I said Venoms must be removed; I just said they are OP and the concept is broken (and Havocs are not removed). I will not accept ultimative requests from either side when it's not "100% win".

iRobot
Junk Administrator

Post by iRobot » Thu 26 Dec , 2013 1:16 am

Point stands, you disliked something and it was removed, even when the poll was near split, although you favoured the majority. To this day that has been the standpoint on LDG, majority rules.

It makes no sense to change it now. The map voting must be rectified.

iZumo

Post by iZumo » Thu 26 Dec , 2013 1:29 am

A) The original poll initiated for Venoms by me was on 09 July 2012 and Aza removed the Venoms more than one year after; and by the way I dislike the whole concept aircraft vs. Bender as I think it's broken.
B) I wonder how that is 100% lose for majority, if only Highlander is perserved. We're speaking here about map rotation issue, not Highlander hate / love.

Azarael
UT2004 Administrator

Post by Azarael » Thu 26 Dec , 2013 1:32 am

Highlander is the most obvious symptom of the map rotation problem, as you can see through its total playtime and average duration. Exempting a map which already has an extreme duration and playtime from a solution designed to prevent the same maps every evening is insulting.

My solution would be threefold here:

- No Seq / Playcount in voting
- No guards on maps to have them played in primetime
- No rigging the repeat limit to ensure the same cycling of maps every day

iRobot
Junk Administrator

Post by iRobot » Thu 26 Dec , 2013 1:36 am

Indeed, the timeframe is a large part of the issue with Highlander. Peak time is only a few hours long. To have Highlander swallow up 45 mins to an hour each night is really tiresome.

It is not like we are motioning for complete removal of these maps. Every 2nd day is by no means a poor compromise for both parties.

iZumo

Post by iZumo » Thu 26 Dec , 2013 1:41 am

Fair enough, that could go.
Azarael wrote:Highlander is the most obvious symptom of the map rotation problem, as you can see through its total playtime and average duration. Exempting a map which already has an extreme duration and playtime from a solution designed to prevent the same maps every evening is insulting.

My solution would be threefold here:

- No Seq / Playcount in voting
- No guards on maps to have them played in primetime
- No rigging the repeat limit to ensure the same cycling of maps every day
Playcount in voting is important, it prevents voting small maps with big playercount and vice versa, you just need to make sure it's not implementing guarding (i.e big maps really remain for the peak hours only).

Azarael
UT2004 Administrator

Post by Azarael » Thu 26 Dec , 2013 1:43 am

Play count, not playercount.

Name Played Seq

to

Name