Stupid behavior

Discuss matters related to LDG or UT2004 which aren't specific to any server.
Earl_Vencar.:LLS:.
Disappeared Administrator

Re: Stupid behavior

Post by Earl_Vencar.:LLS:. » Thu 10 Apr , 2014 11:03 am

Just that you were laughing at us, at each death, enjoying our annoyance.

Do I have to say that you even asked for people to vote for another same map?
not to race, but only to make us even more irritated by waiting again...
If you bait someone, do not be surprised if they bite back. Your quote on Blazing 1 yesterday (played just before Ascend): 'why wait for loosers...?' showed your complete lack of consideration; calling someone a 'kid' when they were kindly waiting for myself at the end is equally inconsiderate, and just invites the sarcastic comments you received. You did not even attempt this map (Blazing). Everyone plays these maps by their own pace - some can complete in 5 minutes, others in 15 minutes. Sitting as a spectator and then harassing the first player to reach the objective is not acceptable (this is not aimed purely at yourself, but as a general comment).

On this occasion I asked Eiforia in TeamSpeak to wait at the objective for myself, and she did. If the circumstances were swapped then I would do the same. There is therefore no spiteful motive for either voting these maps or waiting at the objectives for a reasonable time. I have even apologised to you over the situation, although I need not. Does this clear things up?

(=
“We humans do not understand compassion. In each moment of our lives, we betray it. Aye, we know of its worth, yet in knowing we then attach to it a value, we guard the giving of it, believing it must be earned. Compassion is priceless in the truest sense of the word. It must be given freely. In abundance.”

LaPutaLoca

Post by LaPutaLoca » Thu 10 Apr , 2014 12:18 pm

Easy for you Earl to extract a few choosen words from the logs... post the entire log and a few other ones concerning the same recurring problem some days/monthes ago.
On my side, I admit I can have some hard words when I'm annoyed, my bad ;)
But it's only the result of provocations...

I already said that I'm not against waiting for people that want to end these maps (and not against playing these maps)
In this case say it in the global Chan Earl, and not only in TS !
I will be far less virulent ;)

One question to Earl : aren't you the creator of the blazing maps Earl ?

That's true I spoke as a spectotor on Yesterday, after a few attemps.
But you're not right when you're saying I never tried these maps...
Look at the Ascend log and you'll see I died so many times :(

Exceptionally, I can reach the objective on these maps, but my connexion (or simply my skill) doesn't allow me do it so easilly.
So I keep trying/dying/boring.
It's ok if everyone is trying to reach the objective.
But it's different if the map can be completed.

Again it's a race game !

What would you say if we play 1vs1 on AS maps and I keep visiting the map to learn all its corners, in spite of doing the objectives ?
You could blame me.
The problem is the same for race maps.

Sure you can exceptionnally wait for someone who is trying to complete the way.
But not each time the map is played !
This recurring wait is annoying...

iRobot
Junk Administrator

Post by iRobot » Thu 10 Apr , 2014 12:42 pm

LaPutaLoca wrote:Easy for you Earl to extract a few choosen words from the logs... post the entire log and a few other ones concerning the same recurring problem some days/monthes ago.
On my side, I admit I can have some hard words when I'm annoyed, my bad ;)
But it's only the result of provocations...

I already said that I'm not against waiting for people that want to end these maps (and not against playing these maps)
In this case say it in the global Chan Earl, and not only in TS !
I will be far less virulent ;)

One question to Earl : aren't you the creator of the blazing maps Earl ?

That's true I spoke as a spectotor on Yesterday, after a few attemps.
But you're not right when you're saying I never tried these maps...
Look at the Ascend log and you'll see I died so many times :(

Exceptionally, I can reach the objective on these maps, but my connexion (or simply my skill) doesn't allow me do it so easilly.
So I keep trying/dying/boring.
It's ok if everyone is trying to reach the objective.
But it's different if the map can be completed.

Again it's a race game !

What would you say if we play 1vs1 on AS maps and I keep visiting the map to learn all its corners, in spite of doing the objectives ?
You could blame me.
The problem is the same for race maps.

Sure you can exceptionnally wait for someone who is trying to complete the way.
But not each time the map is played !
This recurring wait is annoying...
Did you midgame vote? Did other people? Did enough people vote to make it end the map?

Guessing not, so people wanted to play it.

Azarael
UT2004 Administrator

Post by Azarael » Thu 10 Apr , 2014 12:47 pm

People can't even kick vote obvious offenders or midgame off a bugged map. What makes you think they'll ever midgame unless expressly prompted? It honestly means nothing.

A prompt for map end upon a player reaching the point of no return would be far more reliable.

LittleBunny

Post by LittleBunny » Thu 10 Apr , 2014 2:16 pm

Every time I play BA, the quickest player asks if people want him/her to finish or wait. IMO it would be an overkill to regulate this while in practise there are rarely any problems.

Manage the exception, not by exception.

Azarael
UT2004 Administrator

Post by Azarael » Thu 10 Apr , 2014 2:28 pm

The problem comes from the inconsistency. Different players have different wait thresholds, and most will allow 2 or 3 "wait"s to run the timer to the maximum. This is why I proposed explicit end voting.

Satin
Disappeared Administrator

Post by Satin » Thu 10 Apr , 2014 6:04 pm

Aza's solution (like always) offers the best way forward, it's logical and more importantly. It's consistant - it gets my vote, I'd do it that way.

proof
Banned

Post by proof » Thu 10 Apr , 2014 10:29 pm

This thread is so sad. One person complains in a headache-giving-english and the admin who doesnt even play Race/Trial wants to change the whole system which btw works for everyone but Le Puto. Besides, Blazing and Ascend are Trial maps and most people are trying to simply complete them no matter the final time. Also, you cant play them offline cause the trial scorps wont spawn (or at least I havent figured out how) unlike other maps with normal nitro vehicles. So Azas beloved argument "play them offline" doesnt work here either.

Leave it as it is, let Le Puto complain, hes the exception like Bunny said already. If you changed the current system, you may have made one person satisfied but many others would be upset.
Art in a frame is like an eagle in a birdcage.

Azarael
UT2004 Administrator

Post by Azarael » Thu 10 Apr , 2014 10:38 pm

I can almost see the cogs turn in BabyDontHurtMeNoMore's head.

"Fuck, I can't argue for shit, but I need to make some contribution to this thread which doesn't require me to address any points. I know! I'll dismiss the contribution with an ad hominem attack. Aza doesn't like race, so his opinion and solutions are completely invalid! P-people will believe that, r-right? Aza only ever does things to spite other people and not because of any moral outlook anyway, fuck that guyy! Maybe I could also act like typing !fin or !wait into the console to vote is a major change from the existing situation and will make a lot of people upset. They're sure to buy that!"

Welcome to the ignore list. I'm tired of reading your garbage and until you offer up some points, your opinion won't matter one bit in any discussion, so I don't need to bother with you. Stick to what you are good at.

--------------------------------------------

For everyone else, I must admit that I would have already implemented this solution were I able, but map neutrality demands Socio's approval for any changes to his maps or which might affect his maps. That's why I've floated it in this thread. I did actually try to configure the mod server to have the trial maps voteable all the time, but NitroVehicles only works on LDG#1. Without actually presenting people with the opportunity to vote and recording the results, any speculation about who has a problem is just that. Since enders almost always ask "fin?" and players who care always reply, nothing actually changes except the addition of ! before what you were saying. The bonus is that if the camp of players who want maps to end IS, in fact, negligible, they have solid proof of the majority's will and can deal with it accordingly.

If anyone sees any actual flaws in my proposition I'd like to hear them.

Calypto

Post by Calypto » Thu 10 Apr , 2014 10:46 pm

What happens is that people try the map for a few minutes then quit. These trial maps contain movers which are also not friendly for online play, making it hard for higher pinging players. If someone is willing to write the code for the voting system, I think this will be a great addition.