Stupid behavior

Discuss matters related to LDG or UT2004 which aren't specific to any server.
proof
Banned

Re: Stupid behavior

Post by proof » Thu 10 Apr , 2014 11:14 pm

Well, I was giving solid arguments as in Socios trial maps cant be played offline or that Le Puto is the only person complaining in here but I suppose my arguments are just too strong for Aza to counter them :cry: Instead he tries himself as fantasy author. Meng, not even Lord of the Rings was as good as teh shit youre writing! Too bad Im on his igore list now, its so much fun to see him raging over my comments :(

-BabyDontHurtMeNoMore trollface
Art in a frame is like an eagle in a birdcage.

Definitelynotjay

Post by Definitelynotjay » Fri 11 Apr , 2014 1:17 am

Congratulations BabyDon'tHurtMeNoMore. You are the biggest dipshit to ever live.
You see a mouse trap, I see free cheese and a fucking challenge.
They will try to kill you. Kill them back.

proof
Banned

Post by proof » Fri 11 Apr , 2014 1:44 am

Thank you 8-)

//edit: Oh wait, I forgot something

- BabyDontHurtMeNoMore trollface
Art in a frame is like an eagle in a birdcage.

iRobot
Junk Administrator

Post by iRobot » Fri 11 Apr , 2014 11:03 am

Aza, where is your consistency?

You force ironsights upon people on the BW server because you are unhappy with their play and want them to get better.

Ending trials maps early is not a way to make people better. If anything, using your BW motivation, you should be encouraging people to finish the map themselves, not lollygag around while someone else does it and the map will change itself.

Azarael
UT2004 Administrator

Post by Azarael » Fri 11 Apr , 2014 12:29 pm

What exactly is the problem with giving players the ability to vote to end a map that they don't have the patience for and/or don't have a chance in hell of completing anyway? It means that the forced time limit reduction on some other maps can be removed and that we do things consistently on such maps. Then nobody has any reason to complain.

The forced iron sights on BW were designed to force some players who were spamming to play the game the way it is intended to be played. It is a complete, one step solution - they don't have to do anything and the majority of players that it's been applied to (over 80%) either haven't noticed or are not bothered by the restriction - considering ingame chat. History has already shown that any attempt to force racers to get better in any way is doomed to failure, because they don't play for skill, so I don't see why we'd go down that avenue.

Implemented map end voting. Adding checkpoint support now.

iRobot
Junk Administrator

Post by iRobot » Fri 11 Apr , 2014 3:41 pm

Azarael wrote:What exactly is the problem with giving players the ability to vote to end a map that they don't have the patience for and/or don't have a chance in hell of completing anyway?
They have this ability now already..
Azarael wrote:The forced iron sights on BW were designed to force some players who were spamming to play the game the way it is intended to be played.
Trial maps are intended to be finished, are they not?

Azarael
UT2004 Administrator

Post by Azarael » Fri 11 Apr , 2014 4:35 pm

I addressed the point about midgame voting already: they can't even be bothered to kick AFKs and exploiters under the current system. The vote is on two keys here, it may well make a difference when it's in their face. Even if it doesn't, it allows us to explicitly track how many people want to wait or end, and judge consistently.

Saying that trial maps are intended to be finished works on both sides of the argument. The gametype comes under the race header and some believe that they should be a race and that the first player to reach the goal SHOULD finish. We'll find out just what people think when the voting system is live.

Anyway, I'm using the checkpoint system to add a training mode option which will allow you to restart at the last checkpoint you hit with a key or when you die, but will prohibit you from completing the map as long as it is enabled. That will allow players to learn the map, as you requested. I've actually had these ideas for a while, but this topic has been the final incentive to implement them.

iZumo
Disappeared Administrator

Post by iZumo » Fri 11 Apr , 2014 9:21 pm

Forcing certain players to "play the game it's meant to be played" is perhaps acceptable when it's needed to gather some extra information about their playstyle etc., but not beyond that. In my eyes it's not a solution, it's kinda unfair to the restricted players. You can test it on yourself freely - either using AdminEFR or if you have balls to do it without EFR.

Anyway, we're not really debating that "how RACE should be played", we're rather debating that players are annoyed when people wait at the end for no reason, right? In non-trials RACE maps, I generally don't see a reason and always abused (pushed their nitro) - it's really just annoyance.

In trials I can understand that more players want to finish the map. Reading through this topic, what I would say is sometimes indeed the player at the objective is waiting for another player to finish in a good will and other times there is one player at the end without really waiting for anyone, just watching the others to try and fail (and ragequit because of boredom).

Problem with the prompt will definitely be - I'm sure some of you remember Bono's rage on RacewayAlpha trollface - that either it will disctract you from driving (like midgame voting) or it will go kinda unnoticed. I don't know how much has been implemented here (or elsewhere), but:

1) In AS, not doing the objective when you can is considered team hamper and a bannable offecne. I don't see why in RACE such couldn't be seen as an annoyance.
2) In trial maps, completing the objective would not end the game right away, but set the clock to, say 3 minutes, for other players to finish (with Aza's checkpoint system, the timer would run only if there is any other player advanced enough). Waiting before the objective (so this timer isn't triggered) is 1).

Azarael
UT2004 Administrator

Post by Azarael » Fri 11 Apr , 2014 9:22 pm

I've completed the implementation, which draws a translucent set of messages looking a lot like the clock in UT2Vote, showing the votes for each side, the keys to press (F3 and F7) and the option to hit Backspace to hide the prompt. Players can vote for wait or end, with players who are not voting implicitly placing half a vote for waiting. If the end vote passes, the timer is set to 1. This is actually a fairer implementation than the forced time which previously existed.

I've also added the checkpoint system, which will reset you to the last checkpoint as UnWheel does if you skip checkpoints. I expect there will be no need for blocking volumes now, and I look forward to the tears cried by the glitch kings over the death of cheatin'.

Btw, regarding forced aim: I play like that all the time...

LittleBunny

Post by LittleBunny » Sat 12 Apr , 2014 9:59 am

And what if the player want's to finish? Is he gonna be forced to wait?