No votes
I don't have a smartphone
27%

Total votes: 26

Butcher
V.I.P. Member

Re: Cell phones

Post by Butcher » Fri 23 May , 2014 5:31 pm

Calypto wrote:I can't wait for the next iPhone, I'll probably throw out my old one when it comes out
...just give it to Aza... Is a win-win situation: Aza gets a phone, and you pay the double for a new thing that does exactly the same... ;'D'D typical consumer obsolescence...
"An BW match is a test of your skill against your opponents' luck." :)

ZioFede

Post by ZioFede » Fri 23 May , 2014 7:07 pm

I think it's more consumer idiocy than "obsolescence".

God should have let Paul live and let you die instead, worthless piece of shit. -Mr. H&some about a random actor-

Azarael
UT2004 Administrator

Post by Azarael » Sat 24 May , 2014 12:00 am

Face it, Apple devices are not value for money.

blOb
V.I.P. Member

Post by blOb » Sat 24 May , 2014 2:01 am

This thread reminded me of this old vid:

iRobot
Junk Administrator

Post by iRobot » Sat 24 May , 2014 10:37 am

Azarael wrote:Face it, Apple devices are not value for money.
When I'm getting my phone free with my contract, I can't really complain =D

focus

Post by focus » Sat 24 May , 2014 11:47 am

I believe price of phone is already included in operator tariffs, actually.

Satin
Disappeared Administrator

Post by Satin » Sat 24 May , 2014 1:04 pm

it's not 'free' you're paying via the contract. I have a 'free phone' (well after I brought it) @£129, now I have a £11/mth sim only contract that I'll never ever use the allowance up in a million years, and it does everything your iphone does and more.

Still its your money to waste I guess.

I bet over a 2 year period my costs are a lot less than yours £129 + 24 x £11 = £393 total ( or $661.5 if you're merican)

reload

Post by reload » Sat 24 May , 2014 9:10 pm

Pinky wrote:
Izumo wrote:Meego
Meego is dead since Nokia stopped the entire support about a year ago. The Jolla is powered by Sailfish, created by Meego developers who left Nokia after its switch to WP. They will soon also release a launcher for Android phones so that non-Sailfish users can experience the swipe-based UI.
It looks like a cool phone, but I'd prefer one that had buttons. Having to navigate using gestures seems inefficient.

Butcher
V.I.P. Member

Post by Butcher » Sun 25 May , 2014 2:45 am

iRobot wrote:When I'm getting my phone free with my contract, I can't really complain =D
"Free"... of course.... the mobile companies in UK are so moronic that they give i phones for Free... LOL
"An BW match is a test of your skill against your opponents' luck." :)

Pinky
Disappeared Administrator

Post by Pinky » Sun 25 May , 2014 3:14 am

reload wrote:It looks like a cool phone, but I'd prefer one that had buttons. Having to navigate using gestures seems inefficient.
On the contrary, swiping gestures are really intuitive and once you get used to them, you'll curse the guy who invented the home and backward keys. Basically, with the swipe-UI on the Jolla your home button is wherever you have one of your fingers on the screen. You want to go back to the previous screen? All you have to to is swipe to the right from any location on the screen. You don't have to move your finger all the way to the bottom to access the back-key. If you go to either side of the screen and swipe, you move the current app into the background. If you don't move your finger too far of screen's edge, your current app will just get transparent and you can see what's currently happening on your main screen (status of other running apps, connection status, time... etc.). Swiping downwards or upwards (wherever your finger currently is), will open a pull up (or pull down) menu allowing you to quickly access the settings or options of your foreground app. Swiping down from the top will close your current foreground app, while swiping up from the bottom will open the event screen which shows you a a summary of everything you have missed (phone calls, SMS, e-mails, and other notifications).

Additionally, you can interact with any currently running app by swiping gestures on the main screen - except for Android apps which don't support such interactions....