Decreasing playerbase

Discuss the Ballistic Weapons servers here.
iZumo
Disappeared Administrator

Re: Decreasing playerbase

Post by iZumo » Wed 28 May , 2014 11:13 am

Calypto wrote:PingCompensation was introduced originally as a serveractor. That changed when onslaught was introduced and PingCompensation was set individually for each gametype except onslaught, due to incompatibility with nodes. Interestingly enough, I have never heard anyone say that they hit their targets better in onslaught as the result of no PingCompensation.
Well, it may work better for you if you have high ping (and others with high ping too). But if it causes problems to normal low-ping players, then it's not acceptable and should be removed.
Capaco wrote:- forced aim to others, meh let them spam and shot as they want, dont make ppl play as u wish or the game was made to.
I actually strongly support this. One thing is trolling, another thing is figuring out how these players play without aim; but permanently (or long-term) preventing just some players to play the way they want to is not correct and there is no solid defense for it given it's unfairness. I wouldn't be surprised if someone got their forced aim set based on killing by spam someone that raged afterwards.
Capaco wrote:- way too much concentration on skill and skill system, the balancer is here, so data arrived and can be in background everywhere.
- If skill system is removed, i think EFR can be removed also, why care about skill if its no where to see anyway? ( yes i think there are some ppl who care) and the argument like " Oh i dont know when i get better or not if i dont see skill"...LOL.. u will feel it during the game i guess
Some people care, some don't. Some people have to show others that they are not noobs if there's a way through the skill system, right? And some other people have to show off if others are showing themselves off, too. Are these the ones complaining about public skill system? Doesn't feel like it affects most of the playerbase but just several individuals.
kiddingme
But then, I have to wonder, how is this going to change when you know there still is data tracking? It's still going to be stored somewhere, who knows it may be turned on later. So the question is this: can you play "freely" without the aim of maximizing skill if it's tracked but not visible? Because I'm not really sure how it would really differ if you hide your skill.
Capaco wrote:- the map changes, especially osiris i dont like anymore, yes im roof camper, BUT should have been just 2 ways to get on the roof, like on opposite side, or some stairs to get up for weaker players who cant jump on elevator. Some rebuild maps are good, but i still would prefer to choose in voting option about the old and new version for example.
Can only say the last time it helped putting the "shit maps" back.

iRobot
Junk Administrator

Post by iRobot » Wed 28 May , 2014 11:28 am

I have low ping and haven't noticed any difference, honestly.

Though it should be said I play on LDG only lately and therefore have no real comparison. Someone who frequents several servers, particularly those without ping correction may have a jarring experience.

Azarael
UT2004 Administrator

Post by Azarael » Wed 28 May , 2014 11:30 am

I don't notice any issues either.

Skaldy
V.I.P. Member

Post by Skaldy » Wed 28 May , 2014 11:57 am

Even when I spectate, I can see players stutter and skip.

Played TDM last night, and it was a bit smoother than Freon and hits were easier to make. Is the skill system a difference between the game types? Does the skill system do much logging out to the hard drive?

And perhaps we could at least try a few days without Ping Compensation.

Azarael
UT2004 Administrator

Post by Azarael » Wed 28 May , 2014 12:34 pm

The skill system saves only at the end of the game. This is why the game freezes when the final kill is made.

We can try without Ping Comp.

Skaldy
V.I.P. Member

Post by Skaldy » Wed 28 May , 2014 1:10 pm

I like ONS, and will stay next time if that gametype has no Ping Comp. I was only immediately leaving ONS matches because the GetLoadoutWeapon bind doesn't work, but I can mousewheel it for the sake of testing.

I'm leaning towards the idea that PingComp is magnifying the lag effect across poor connections (which are varying rapidly) so that someone with a rock-solid ping of 150 and no P/L would think it was working perfectly.

[I would even risk changing ISP, to gain access to a better network, but have no real alternative atm :( ]

Earl_Vencar.:LLS:.
Disappeared Administrator

Post by Earl_Vencar.:LLS:. » Wed 28 May , 2014 1:42 pm

I have the same issues as yourself Skaldy - a lot of micro-stuttering and freezing (between half a second and 5 seconds) on this server, but it seems fairly equal between Freon, TDM and DM. It only begins to freeze and lag when in promity to other players - if I stand alone in a corner, I get no issues. It does seem to correct itself after two or three games though, and the lag becomes very intermittent (this only occurs via the wireless - if I play on the PC plugged directly into the modem, the freezing never fades and it is unplayable). I get no such problems on the Race server, and maybe I'll begin to join the invasion server to compare. Interestingly, I seem to get no issues at all with ONS - 2 days ago I joined straight into an ONS game, 0 freezing. I'm enjoying BW a lot, but because of this issue I often prefer to just stay on the Race server if not on TS.
“We humans do not understand compassion. In each moment of our lives, we betray it. Aye, we know of its worth, yet in knowing we then attach to it a value, we guard the giving of it, believing it must be earned. Compassion is priceless in the truest sense of the word. It must be given freely. In abundance.”

Capaco

Post by Capaco » Wed 28 May , 2014 2:04 pm

Earl_Vencar.:LLS:. wrote:I have the same issues as yourself Skaldy - a lot of micro-stuttering and freezing (between half a second and 5 seconds) on this server, but it seems fairly equal between Freon, TDM and DM. It only begins to freeze and lag when in promity to other players - if I stand alone in a corner, I get no issues. It does seem to correct itself after two or three games though, and the lag becomes very intermittent (this only occurs via the wireless - if I play on the PC plugged directly into the modem, the freezing never fades and it is unplayable). I get no such problems on the Race server, and maybe I'll begin to join the invasion server to compare. Interestingly, I seem to get no issues at all with ONS - 2 days ago I joined straight into an ONS game, 0 freezing. I'm enjoying BW a lot, but because of this issue I often prefer to just stay on the Race server if not on TS.

Ohoh i remember sth. yesterday. U mentioned freezing near other players.. yes i have that problem too, i got it 2 times yesterday facing Bufty, dunno why, he came around a corner ( 2 times same situation lol) and i freezed around 3 seconds.

Azarael
UT2004 Administrator

Post by Azarael » Wed 28 May , 2014 2:11 pm

Skaldy wrote:I was only immediately leaving ONS matches because the GetLoadoutWeapon bind doesn't work
Priority fix now.

Azarael
UT2004 Administrator

Post by Azarael » Wed 28 May , 2014 2:28 pm

Does the degree of freezing vary with playercount?