Quixel dDo

Discuss matters related to LDG or UT2004 which aren't specific to any server.
Azarael
UT2004 Administrator

Re: Quixel dDo

Post by Azarael » Wed 02 Jul , 2014 4:42 pm

Bake Mode -> Normals (object space and then high from low for tangent space.)
It can be simulated by assigning different cubemaps where a simple cubemap with a soft round highlight will represent a rough surface whereas a detailed HDRI-like cubemap will represent a glossy surface.
I figured, but when we were talking before you mentioned multiples of a smaller texture size will perform worse than a single large texture.

Aberiu
V.I.P. Member

Post by Aberiu » Wed 02 Jul , 2014 4:48 pm

Usually it's the opposite, you bake from high to low. How does the lowpoly model look like with a normal map assigned?

Azarael
UT2004 Administrator

Post by Azarael » Wed 02 Jul , 2014 4:54 pm

Mistake when writing. It's not actually possible in Blender to bake from low to high when using multiresolution.

Sec.

Aberiu
V.I.P. Member

Post by Aberiu » Wed 02 Jul , 2014 5:00 pm

However to me it's still hard to make any conclusions until I understand how does it look like (you can try it in marmoset), how did you bake your specularity (where did you place the lights, did you mix it with the dDo specular map, how did you do it etc.) and how does your actual specularity mask made for UEd look like.

Azarael
UT2004 Administrator

Post by Azarael » Wed 02 Jul , 2014 5:06 pm

Baked specular in Blender using specular and normal maps from dDo and light arrangement as shown in previous thread. Screened the diffuse with that with low opacity. Made the specular with desaturated, darkened dDo specular screened with baked specular.

http://ut2004.ldg-gaming.eu/azarael/CX61_Spec.png

Aberiu
V.I.P. Member

Post by Aberiu » Wed 02 Jul , 2014 5:27 pm

So I tried it in UEd and I suppose there are 2 reasons.

1) sharpen+levels.
Here's the mask I used for my previous texture:
http://fc01.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2014/ ... 7owt0x.jpg
I hope you get the idea.

2) the size of details you're using. As I already metioned once, you tend to choose smaller details which basically turn into noise at a certain distance. Keep in mind that you don't have any actual normal map. You're simulating it with baked lighting and your possibilities are quite limited. If you want to make your textures look more bumpy and realistic you have to exaggerate the details a bit.
I'm talking about this:

I hope this helps.

Azarael
UT2004 Administrator

Post by Azarael » Wed 02 Jul , 2014 6:45 pm

I went out for a run, back now.

It does help, thanks. I'll try further modifications later on. I need to get this sorted out before I can commit to making any more weapons.